Rudder trouble!

Mar 31, 2018
Catalina 22 Freshwater marina
Newbie sailor learning on a freshwater lake in Alabama. I bought a Cat 22 because of all the good things I've heard and the price was right. My problem the rudder broke almost in two about the water line the the 4th time I took her out. My wife was onboard for the first time. Still living that down. Looking for a replacement. I tried making one but the wheels feel off quick. Can I use a rudder from a 25? (Saw one online that was reasonable). Any advice on what I can do is appreciated. The Camel is 33 years old and in great condition. I don't live in a sailing hotbed so not a lot of kindred spirits close by.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Try asking this on the c22 forum and On the Catalina 22 Facebook group. There were a couple rudders for sale there not long ago.

The rudder from a c25 will be to large and unless your ruder grudgons have been replaced they will be a different size for a c25.

There are also a number for c22 fleets in your area so I would suggest contacting them as often racers will have a parts boat or may know of a lead for a rudder. If cost is no issue and your not racing then the rudder craft rudder is a favorite of many and from what I hear is far superior to the stock rudder. Hope that helps

https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/regions-a-fleets#fleets-in-region-3

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=181_32

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
+1 on the Rudder Craft rudders. We love ours.

If you decide to go with a used one, the classifieds here are a good bet, or there are often a few on eBay. Be sure you know the size and spacing of your gudgeons; you might decide this is the right time to upgrade from 3/8" to 1/2". Personally, if I were buying a used kick-up rudder, I'd want to inspect the casting pretty carefully (or at least get really good pictures). The stainless pintles pass through the aluminum casting, causing bi-metallic corrosion. My own casting was corroded pretty badly (which was why I now have the Rudder Craft).

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Newbie sailor learning on a freshwater lake in Alabama. I bought a Cat 22 because of all the good things I've heard and the price was right. My problem the rudder broke almost in two about the water line the the 4th time I took her out. My wife was onboard for the first time. Still living that down. Looking for a replacement. I tried making one but the wheels feel off quick. Can I use a rudder from a 25? (Saw one online that was reasonable). Any advice on what I can do is appreciated. The Camel is 33 years old and in great condition. I don't live in a sailing hotbed so not a lot of kindred spirits close by.

Thank goodness that I misread your post. I thought that you were looking to replace your wife. :^)))

As for replacing your rudder: https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/78/rudders.cfm

Mar 31, 2018
Catalina 22 Freshwater marina
Adder reading my post I need to clarify something, I'm looking for another rudder, not a wife. Just saying!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Good news, not much market availability on used wives who like sail-boating.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
The first time I took my wife out I kept repeating in my head, "don't do anything embarrassing, don't do anything embarrassing." Then I walked face first into a (very clean) glass door.

I'd never had a bloody nose before that - man, was it a gusher!