Roller Furling line (which side)

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Researching CDI Roller furlers for the hunter 23.5 and 26 boats.. Most people run their furling line down the port (left) side of the boat. Is there a particular reason for this? seems to me it would be better to go down the starboard side since you may be over there running the outboard and the furling line would be on that side and close.... Next DUMB question... saw you can buy new headsails from various sources that are set up for a furler with sacrificial sunbrella already attached etc... they don't seem to specify which side the fabric is on so is it possible to make the CDI furler furl the sail in either direction regardless of which side of the boat the furling line runs on? I know you would have to re-rap the rope in the other direction, but is this possible? hope this question makes sense.... to re ask the question in another way....say I bought a sail and the sunbrella was on the wrong side, could I re-rig the CDI furler to furl in the other direction?
thanks

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
On my 240 I have an anchor roller on the starboard side of the bow, so chose to run my furling line on the port side to avoid interfering with that. Also have the centerboard uphaul on starboard, so just depends how much room you have or how many lines you want on each side of the cabin top.
As for the furling direction, you should be able to use either direction, depending on which side your UV protection is on.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You mentioned the outboard is to starboard.
If you accidentally let your furler line get in the water, you are less likely to foul the prop if your line is to port

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
the sunbrella was on the wrong side, could I re-rig the CDI furler to furl in the other direction?
Yes, by feeding the furling line onto the drum in the opposite direction and moving the fairleads leading the line aft.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Generally, furlers roll in one direction. I cannot speak about CDI, though; mine is Harken.
But when you order a new sail, you can specify on what side you want the UV cover. So, you adjust the sail to the furler, not the other way around.

In most furlers I saw, you can run the furling halyard along either side (port or starboard), but be careful that you don't cross some other line or foul something else. On my previous boat I switched from starboard to port, because we changed the slip and you would have to step on the furling line when entering the boat.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
to re ask the question in another way....say I bought a sail and the sunbrella was on the wrong side, could I re-rig the CDI furler to furl in the other direction?
Short answer is: Yes, you can re-rig it in the other way, that's what happened to me.
I had a CDI furler & new sail built for my H27 and wanted the furling line to come down the port side so that the hank of line, etc. was on the other side of the cockpit from the engine controls on the starboard side. They asked and I specified that (port side) so they would sew the Sunbrella on and it would roll up on that side.
When I got the furler and new genoa installed, the Sunbrella turned out to be on the other or "wrong" side. The cup that covers the furling line drum can be unscrewed and rotated, so I unrolled the furling line all the way, rolled the sail up with the Sunbrella on the outside, rotated the cup to allow the line to run down the port side and moved the fairleads, etc. over to the port side. (I unfortunately don't have a photo here I can post) Have been using it that way for several years now.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
There's an argument to be made for rigging the furling line on starboard side on smaller boats. On a heavier, big boat, I don't think it makes much difference which side the furling line is on.

For boats with low booms or low stability, putting the furling line on starboard side is preferable, If you furl the headsail while on starboard tack, you will have right of way (if under sailpower ), which can be an advantage when hoisting or reefing a headsail.

On a boat with a low boom, if you are sailing on starboard tack, you have to stay on starboard side whilst sailing on starboard tack to keep from getting hit in the head by the boom.

On a lightweight boat which is sensitive to crew as ballast, you usually want to keep your weight on the high side on windy days for safety's sake.

As others have previously pointed out, all furlers can be installer with the furling line to either side, as long as the lead is fair. The UV cover should be on port if the furling line comes off the starboard side of the drum. it should be on starboard side if the furling line exits on the port side of the drum. Sometimes, however, there is pre-existing deck hardware which gets in the way on one side or the other.

Judy B

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You mentioned the outboard is to starboard.
If you accidentally let your furler line get in the water, you are less likely to foul the prop if your line is to port
I believe what he meant is that outboards are designed to be operated from starboard, with the controls on starboard. This is tradition. However, the engine is probably mounted to port. Again, tradition. So no, fouling risk is no different.

I've always assumed it was just tradition. My last boat ran the line on starboard, but it crossed the bow and rolled from port.

That said, my new boat came with 2 jibs; one has a cover on port, the other on starboard. Either works if you move the last lead. I've had Hood and Scheafer furlers, and they work equally well from either side.

Something to mindfull of when ordering a sail.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The direction the sail furls has nothing to do with the side of the boat that the line is on. All one does is to start the furl in the direction that one desires. It also doesn't matter what side the sacrificial cover is on, because you can turn the drum any way you want. Where it comes in handy to know is when you have two jibs. It's easier to have the covers on the same sides so when you switch jibs you don't have to completely remove the furling line from the drum.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I believe what he meant is that outboards are designed to be operated from starboard, with the controls on starboard. This is tradition. However, the engine is probably mounted to port. Again, tradition. So no, fouling risk is no different.
Hi @thinwater:
He has a Hunter 23.5. Those have an O.B. well to starboard, just like the H26 has. On my H26, the furling line is port. I assumed it was to minimize the chance of fouling the prop but it could just be what it is for no real reason other than preference of the designer.

Dave???????

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The choice of the furling line as to which side of the boat was up to the customer. As Jackdaw reminded us which I forgot to say ( thank you Jackdaw) you can swivel the front cover of the drum to any point for the line to exit but also making sure that the line does not chafe coming out of the drum.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
Just put one on my new to me Hunter 26 and have now answered my own question. I think it is better to have the furling line on the port side because of the anchor locker. If it is on the port side the line will be behind the lid when you raise it and out of the way. If it is on the starboard side when you raise the lid you now have the furling line on that side to get snagged and tangled up with the anchor and line etc..... just my 2 cents...... but may be helpful to someone else.
and btw I figured this out only after I have installed the line running on the starboard side, but am going to go back and re-do it now. Never said I was the sharpest tack in the box.........

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Generally, furlers roll in one direction.
I don't think that's so. I currently have a Harken, and had a Profurl previously. They are not "handed," they don't know which way the sail furls or unfurls.

When you have a sail made you tell the loft which side you want the cover sewn to. If it's rolling up counterclockwise, on starboard; clockwise, port. I've had both.

If you want to reverse the direction of rolling, you really should change the furling line from one side to the other, since there is an "easy," natural way to lead the line off the drum. If you get it cross-wise you'll need an ugly arrangement of block at the bow to the the line led into the drum at the right angles. At least that's so on my Harken and Profurl furlers.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
On my 240 I have an anchor roller on the starboard side of the bow, so chose to run my furling line on the port side to avoid interfering with that. Also have the centerboard uphaul on starboard, so just depends how much room you have or how many lines you want on each side of the cabin top.
The first reply to your original question... but always fun to figure it out for yourself!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jbreland

You learned and that is the correct way to run that line so it does not interfere with the anchor locker lid

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I havr a 23.5 and a roller and the line goes down the port side. Never been an issue. I think it would be crowded on the starboard side with the two halyards and keel uphaul clutches, jammers, etc. My port side just has two jammers for the kite and a cleat for the jib roller line.