Replace furler, or go hanked on?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ok, I'm convinced. Furler it is, for all of the reasons above. Cost is actually NOT a consideration. If you are worried about spending money on a boat, don't buy a boat.

So the next question for the panel: What brand?
(I hope that is not the same as "which anchor?".

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Ok, I'm convinced. Furler it is, for all of the reasons above. Cost is actually NOT a consideration. If you are worried about spending money on a boat, don't buy a boat.

So the next question for the panel: What brand?
(I hope that is not the same as "which anchor?".
I think most modern furlers are pretty good. I personally like Harken. ProFurl also has a good reputation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
next, your going to tell me you sail with the dodger up and the bimini deployed. slow slow slow. i hate slow
Well, you asked me to tell you, so I am. Dodger up AND bimini deployed! However I can't see how it slows us down at all. We often hit 9 knots and ten isn't a rarity, though 12+ we don't see too often, but it isn't unheard of.
We hate gooping ourselves up with slippery stuff to stave off skin maladies, so the bimini is a must down here.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'd probably go with the roller reefing. I've had both. I don't always think the rolling is so easy - at least for the first couple of turns. I've had the reefing line break, jam and other malfunctions. So I don't think they are foolproof (And I'm the fool that can prove it). I've been on many boats on which the furling line was not run fair, or didn't make the right angle with the drum, or was too thin for the hand, or was located where I couldn't get my long muscles into it, or there wasn't enough thickness of the drum to give adequate mechanical advantage to start the sail in - like the 150 in an 18 to 20 knot breeze. But in general they are easier than the hank on and you don't have the sail stowed below which is a big thing for me because I hate clutter.

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
Sounds like you have made up your decision about furling\hank-on. I think you've made a good one, particularly for cruising where the goal is to smell the roses more than squeeze the extra ounce of speed from your boat, unless you're into that type of thing. We have a pro-furl unit on ours and I'm happy with it, though I had to replace the bushings in the swivel traveler because they were worn out and had "jumped the track". This appears a common problem on older pro-furl units that have seen many years of service. After I fixed that it has worked fine. I particularly like the open-ness of the drum so I can see the line spooled up in case it ever got jammed it would be easy to fix.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SFS just had the boat’s original ProFurl removed. Sold to a guy from Alaska who’s boat is in Michigan and he’s heading to Florida. While it was in good condition, I decided that I wanted to change to Harken in 2016 during Mast refit.

I had the boat out of water for repairs it seemed a great time to change out the furler. Installed a Harken MKIV unit 1 on my Cal35C.
16B5EE6F-BF27-4371-B2E8-EE854348261C.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can see the line spooled up in case it ever got jammed
I had that happen in gusts on San Juan channel. Found my way to the bow, short tethered to the deck, holding on with one hand while I worked to free the line bind and unwrap the Genoa that had been back winded. Like riding a bronco while your feet are dipping in the water.
Sporty experience.