Which Winch?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have Lewmar single sixes on the cabin top. I like shiny things, so they're chrome. ;)

If I had it to do over again, I might mount them on 1" risers or angled pads. With the winches mounted flat on the cabin top, entry angle of the halyard line, being roughly perpendicular to the drum, causes the line to override itself if I use more than one turn around the winch. By design, the line is supposed to lead upward to the winch at 5-8 degrees to prevent fouling.

It's not a huge deal, but it is an occasional annoyance.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Years ago I rigged my Viking 22 to be more easily single handed by building a pedestal in the center of the cockpit about 12" forward of where the peek of the arc forms for the tiller. I installed deck mounted turning blocks port and starboard on the CL of the single winch. I did have to route jib sheets through the combing which was accomplished by drilling a hole through the combing into the cockpit and inserting a guide tube with a rubber seal the sheets ran through. On the Viking the Main sheet and traveler were mounted on the combing aft so one could tack easily without ever standing up, worked very well, one man tacking could be accomplished very quickly. Wish I had some pictures to share with you unfortunately that was long before the digital age.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=124

Having the main and genoa sheets so close one could sail the Viking on the edge all day long, was a lot of fun. The Scarecrow as fully equipped with symmetrical spinnaker, 150%, 130%, 100% and storm sails as well as loose footed and footed main sails.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Consider going ahead and breaking the bank a little.. get a pair of 14ST and install as primaries then move existing primaries to cabin top.. You won't regret having self tailing winches as primaries.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This is a 23-foot boat, guys, and it sounds like he is only talking about halyards, which will mostly be pulled by hand. The winch is just for tensioning.

I've worked on the Lewmars; they're solid and very easy to service.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Since you have a smaller boat, most of the time you don't need to winch much. You may want to look into a bottom action winch. While it has the normal gear receptacle for the crank on top, it also has a permanent handle that ratchets underneath. I think Anderson still makes one of these. Its kind of handy, as it is always there, and it is very rare to need more than just a coupe of pulls on the lever. This is what my boat has, and I never use the actual crank, just use the built in lever. Because the lever is on the bottom, it is always out of the way when you wrap the line. Truthfully, the only time I use them is the last 6 inches of raising the main.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Consider going ahead and breaking the bank a little.. get a pair of 14ST and install as primaries then move existing primaries to cabin top.. You won't regret having self tailing winches as primaries.
I know it sounds crazy arguing against self tailing winches. But @rpludwig 's boat has such great ergonomics for trimming and cleating the sheets, I wouldn't install ST's even if they were the same price.

I did exactly as you said on my boat: I bought ST's for the sheets and moved the Single 6's to the cabin top. But my sheeting arrangement is entirely different, and dramatically inferior. It's one of the areas where Catalina actually went downhill with the advent of the New Design. :(

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Lewmar #6 single speed is the way to go for halyard and sheets. I'm with Gene, I like the full chrome look. I believe it's referred to as boat jewelry.

On a boat this size I can harden halyard and trim sheets easily by hand. I very rarely need a handle. I like the horn cleat better than cams too. The only thing I would maybe do different is add clutches in front of the winch to make it multipurpose, but I only have the halyard to tension at the moment so it's not a big deal.
KBG

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Gene, I dunno.. I got spoiled very quickly to not having to cleat/uncleat in order to trim the genoa.. My 23' boat had non ST winches but I very rarely even bothered with a handle..
How is his sheeting scheme different? (not familiar with the different schemes on the 22)..

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Go with self tailing you will not regret it.
Replaced my 30 year old lewmar st with new lewmar evo st.
I like the lewmar evo oceans because you need absolutely no tools to service them.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Lewmar 6's it is, fits the budget, suits the purpose on a C22, appreciate all the great insight/feedback. ST's down the road for sure on the bigger boat.

Last edited: