sailing aeolus - 1966 caravelle yawl

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i retired off the ships the summer of 88'. i became a mister mom and have not worked since. the two guys in the cockpit are my son and his best friend. they both have sailed aeolus starting at age 2 and sailing every year for the next twenty. diapers and life jackets all the way to collage grads. they never missed a year. dude with white hat grew up on the shore in sturge. his people owned the big ship yard back in the day. his father was a ship, tug, sail captain and top sail racer on michagan and green bay. the white hat guy drove tugs for a while up in the aleutians as a young man. then became a top 'high fashion' photographer living in miami beach and traveling the world. the cool thing was that in the summer the fashion scene went to new york and he would come home to sturge. and sail with me, and others. the girls forward are my son's wife who's job is to look beautiful. she is coming along. her childhood while delightful, was very protected. the other gal on the bow is my youngest daughter same as the others. started summer sailing at 2. so, yeah. no directions are given anymore. no need to. they were trained by me to sail as i do. it is sweet

May 25, 2012
hey tom, i would like to buy spinnaker pole. got a price on that? :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
two sail handlers in the cockpit, steve is calling the sail trim and lookout, and believe it or not. the girls keep a keen look out under the sails. fun way to have an afternoon sail down to the end of the bay and back.

May 25, 2012
4/4/18 , the season has started for the lake ships now. blowing a gale with snow today and they are running

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is that a 12M about to over take a Yawl on the lee side? Good that the photo was taken at the right time.

May 25, 2012
that's Dorade in front of and to weather of American Eagle last summer. yawls can be fast. not many sloop sailors understand them. the captain of Escapade trained me. when Escapade was the queen of the great lakes my friend Bjorn was on board. then Haggarty hired him away from the yawl to be on his boat, bay bea. the winning continued for Bjorn.

http://classicsailboats.org/philip-l-rhodes-escapade-15-years-on-the-hard/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A yawl was on my list of boats to buy when I found my current sloop. I used to race on a Yawl in San Diego back in the late 1960's. It was a lot of fun. Many sail options. We did pretty good in the right wind and with our PHRF time.
Thanks for the link. Looks like they were doing a lot of work.