Water in diesel tank Hunter 34

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Nice engine bay on that picture.
I think you have to connect the vacuum gauge on the output side of the Racor. You will never measure any difference in pressure on the input side if the filter gets clogged. For this reasoning I assume that the pump is on the engine side of the Racor and pulls the fuel through the Racor. If the filter gets clogged the pump has to work harder to get the fuel through the Racor and this shows as an increased vacuum on the gauge.
Good call senang. I had to check my picture and the instruction sheet of my Racor. I did hook the vacuum gauge to the second output of the filter. I misspoke on that one. Thanks.

Attachments

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Thank you very much! I’m going to o into the locker and pull off the filler hose from the tank and put a clear plastic tube down into the tank! I’ll keep you posted. By the looks of your bottle ( good representation of the stuff) I have diesel and biomass sludge on the bottom no water unless it mixed when I used the electric pump.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In my experience (bought boat in 2015 with 2 - 79 gallon diesel tanks containing about 120 gallons of diesel unknown fuel age), there is not always a lot of water. But even a little gives a space for the critters to exist. They grow breed, poop and die in the interface between water and diesel.

I addressed them by adding fuel, adding additives to kill and resolve them, filter replacements IMG_1169.JPG (at one time after every 25 hours, I was sucking off the bottom of one tank while driving the boat through 3 ft chop), and polishing fuel by transferring fuel from one tank to the other. I now have one tank 95% clean and one to go.

My plan was to use the fuel and the boat while I worked the problem. The costs of a preemptive strike, that would have been installing cleaning ports in both tanks, power scrubbing both tanks, and polishing the fuel was estimated at $2,500. I thought $20.8 a gallon for the fuel was a bit steep.

I've spent about $2.40 a gallon on filters,
a new Racor 500 filter unit FilterNew.jpg
(I needed to replace the original Ford truck filter anyway, FilterOld.jpg but I threw it in to the cost estimate at $210) and chemicals.

We each have to choose our path to better boat experiences.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Generally a good practical solution is to gain access to the tank(s), pull out the tank bottoms and send it to a fuels recycler. If I had two 80 gallon tanks I would pump one dry and mothball it.

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
Well I put a clear tube in the filler opening in the tank and whenI pulled it up no water inside! The racor bowl was clear of water, so I cleaned the bowl and replaced the filter and bled the system and ran the motor for 3 minutes no abnormal running.maybe I should let it run for 10 minutes?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Run the boat for 20 minutes tied securely to the dock with the prop engaged. Then you will know that you are ready to go to sea.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Get the vacuum gauge, I thought I had mine licked, running ok on the dock only to get out and have power issues. I installed the vacuum gauge and could see I had a restriction. I finally drained the tank, pulled the pickup tube and cleaned it out. I had a strainer in the pickup tube that Hunter put there. It was clogged with guck! I threw the strainer in the trash and cleaned out the pickup tube. The vacuum gauge now reads 0 and I have had a good sea trail, no more power loss issues. Learned a lot. Now I can use the vacuum gauge to know when to replace filters or if there is an issue. Get one that has an 'high' needle so you can see where its been. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2015
Watkins 29 Ft. Lauderdale
I bought a 12 volt fuel transfer pump on eBay and pumped out everything in the tanks in some jerry cans. I let them sit for the better part if a week so that water abd debris would settle. I then bought one of these....
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578787_200578787. I carefully pumped the diesel into this funnel and into the tank. I left about 1/2 Gallon of tainted fuel in each can...didn't want to take a chance if foiling fuel again. Haven't seen water in my fuel since.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well I put a clear tube in the filler opening in the tank and whenI pulled it up no water inside!
I have done rainfall calculations entering an open hole. In my case, its was a 16" hole on the top of a railcar.
It is not the duration of the rain [your case 6 hours], but the rain rate, as in Inches/hour.
_____
I was going to suggest about a 2 tablespoons of water got into your fuel.;)
Most rainfall has a quick burst, then light rain.

Normally , my guessed water amount, and your 20 gallons of fuel, the would most likely dissolve during the sinking process.

I am guessing, you will never see the rain water impact.

Jim...

PS: My example was about 1 cup of water in an 8"/hour downpour thru the 18" hole.

PSS: Test it yourself, get a small funnel about the diameter of your fuel fill, and set it the top of an empty milk jug. See the amount collected in the next rain.;)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Jim, problem with the H34’s is the fuel fill is flush with the deck at the aft portion of the starboard rail. and when it rains, all the rain water (on the SB side) flows over the fill. Hunter should have picked this area up about 1” IMO.

Shannon

_____
I was going to suggest about a 2 tablespoons of water got into your fuel.;)
Most rainfall has a quick burst, then light rain.

Normally , my guessed water amount, and your 20 gallons of fuel, the would most likely dissolve during the sinking process.

I am guessing, you will never see the rain water impact.

Jim...

PS: My example was about 1 cup of water in an 8"/hour downpour thru the 18" hole.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Saw a high pressure diesel injector pump snap an internal shaft $$$ because of water in fuel. Watch for steam or white smoke when your engine is running as an early indication of water in fuel.