H36 Boom Rebuild

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Thanks, I just sanded the old paint as much as practical (only in some spots was it taken to bare aluminum) then primed and top coated using the roll and tip method. It looks OK from about 10', then you can see the high/low spots...certainly would look better if taken to bare all over, but not worth the extra time in my opinion.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Thanks, I just sanded the old paint as much as practical (only in some spots was it taken to bare aluminum) then primed and top coated using the roll and tip method. It looks OK from about 10', then you can see the high/low spots...certainly would look better if taken to bare all over, but not worth the extra time in my opinion.
Thanks. Looks great in the photos. Still comparing options for mine. Trying to find somewhere locally that can anodize, which would be my preference if reasonably priced, but am having difficulty doing so for the length which is 12’-9”.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
I think I am probably going to paint rather than try to anodize after all. I sanded all the old paint off and there are a number of blemishes here and there that would probably be better painted, plus the anodizing seems challenging given the length. Now I have to decide what paint to use. I think you said that you used Rustoleum marine primer and top coat. Is that the Marine white metal primer (207016):
upload_2018-3-27_8-17-35.png

and marine topside paint (207001):
upload_2018-3-27_8-18-33.png

ClouDiver said he used self-etching primer (2449322?)which seems to be an automotive product and only available in aerosol:
upload_2018-3-27_8-21-1.png

Interlux Perfection, which is what I was previously considering, is way more complicated containing many more steps and something I'd like to avoid if possibe. I did it to repaint and Edson binnacle and it took a while.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and input regarding the best to use. Thanks in advance.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What ever method you decide to use, make sure you prep the base aluminum well before coating. That is the single largest factor in a successful coating on aluminum.

dj

Aug 10, 2010
Yes, I used the Rustoleum Primer and Top coat you have pictured above.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
What ever method you decide to use, make sure you prep the base aluminum well before coating. That is the single largest factor in a successful coating on aluminum.

dj
Many thanks DJ. When you say prep the aluminum well what do you mean by that? In the case of the Rustoleum am I just sanding the paint off, priming and painting or is there another step. I had originally considered using Alodine possibly alone or possibly also painted. However, from the instructions for Rustoleum it seem like only their metal primer is required.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Yes, I used the Rustoleum Primer and Top coat you have pictured above.
Thanks again Chichiflys. Good to hear. So I understand you just sanded, primed and painted, leaving the old paint where sound. Did you roll and tip both primer and top coat or just the latter?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Many thanks DJ. When you say prep the aluminum well what do you mean by that? In the case of the Rustoleum am I just sanding the paint off, priming and painting or is there another step. I had originally considered using Alodine possibly alone or possibly also painted. However, from the instructions for Rustoleum it seem like only their metal primer is required.
Read all the instructions in advance and follow them closely. If you are going with the Rustoleum product line, make sure that all the application instructions and especially time frames for application and then coating post priming are followed. I haven't used that specific product line, but in general, there are time frames within which you need to work. Preparation steps should be adhered to. Look to see if they give you a time frame where you have to coat once you've applied your primer. There should be a specified time frame. Think about how long it takes you from the start on one end of your boom applying the primer to getting back applying the paint.

dj

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Thanks again DJ. I found the application instructions for both primer and topcoat and I’ll be sure to plan ahead and follow them. Just need the right weather as I have to work outside.

Aug 10, 2010
TM - I roll and tipped both the primer and top coat. Hopefully it'll last a while.