New to the forum

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @SvOblio on your new boat. Welcome to the best sailboat forum.
Tell us about the boat and your sailing experiences.

Mar 6, 2018
Irwin 40 MKll Chicago, IL
It needs some upgrades to be shipshape. I'm going to be moving aboard in June. I've been sailing through the app "go sailing" for about a year to get more experience with larger keelboats.

Oct 22, 2014
Interesting. I will be interested in how you find simulator sailing compares to real boat stuff.

Mar 6, 2018
The app connects boat owners to crew. Real boats and real crews.

Upgrades I would like: water maker, radar, AIS, charter/plotter, wind generator, solar panels ,LED lighting, spinnaker , and a 4 man life raft.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i'm different than most here. hate working on boats. love sailing them. the way i'd do it is, sail the coast up to manitowac, wis. pull into manitowac marine and ask for Rich Larson. he own's the place. give him your list, throw say 35K cash on his desk, then hitchhike up to door county. there is an infestation of natural readheds on that peninsula. good place for crew development.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
or, there are allot of nice helpful sailors here to guide you to do your own work

Oct 22, 2014
All of these sound good upgrades.
Do they have a reason?
Are they connected?
Have you thought of a priority list?
Will these be used in Lake Michigan?

Mar 6, 2018
I'm going to do my sailing in the Gulf at first. Then around to the east coast and off to the Bahamas .

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Lots of blue water equipment on your list, while your plans are for coastal cruising. I’d prioritize upgrades something like this:

1. AIS for navigating freighters in the Gulf Stream.
2. Chart plotter for shallow water cruising.
3. Asymmetric Spinnaker to motor less in light winds.
4. LED lighting to lower electrical loads.
5. Solar panels if you want to anchor out more than visit marinas.

I’d save the rest of the upgrades until I was planning to cruise in blue water, out of the Caribbean. You might want the wind generator in addition to the solar panels for the Bahamas if you plan high power needs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My boat is actually in Florida.
Welcome to SBO, SvOblio.
On the Gulf Coast. I'm from Clearwater, where abouts, in Florida? There are plenty of potential "crew" most places in Florida. :)
Also, good yards. Are you doing your own work? Your list does sound like you plan on ocean sailing. Cruising the coast and island hoping in the Caribbean, you are not likely to be out more than one night at a time, if that much.
And, here on SailBoatOwners, people like to help out with projects like yours almost as much as they like looking at pictures of and reading about projects like yours. You won't lack for knowledgeable and experienced advice.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 6, 2018
I'm planning to do some blue water in the next season. I will be doing most or all of the work myself. Thanks for the welcome!

Mar 18, 2019
Irwin 32 Corpus Chiristi, TX
A water maker is a great piece of equipment, but a serious one too. Do you know what they cost? $5k on the low end. Heavy on maintenance, do your research and get a good one.