Oday Widgeon Hiking Stick/Tiller Extension

Aug 10, 2016
Oday 12 ft widgeon Maine
Last year, my sailing grand daughters suggested I make a tiller extension. So just finished making a hiking stick or tiller extension for my Widgeon. Attached are 5 pictures of the completed project. I attached the extension 8" from the end of the tiller so when the extension is not being used I can hold the original tiller without the extension being in the way. I fabricated a pivot bracket from 1/8" thick by 1" wide aluminum. It was easy to bend into the "U" shape and I could not find any stainless steel. The bracket is attached to the tiller by a 1/4" x 20 stainless steel carriage bolt through the bracket and locking nut and washer. That way the bracket can pivot 360 degrees. The extension is attached to the bracket by another 1/4" x 20 stainless steel bolt. This bolt goes through the arms of the bracket and also the extension. This allows the extension to also pivot upward about 30 degrees, if necessary when sailing. I also used a nylon washer under the bracket where it rubs against the tiller. I used 2 nylon washers on each side of the extension where it rubs against the bracket. I used a small length of bungee cord tied in a loop to hold the extension in place when not being used, easy to slip on and off. I haven't tried in out yet, but soon my sailing grand daughters will be visiting and the widgeon will be launched. Stayed tuned for a report on how it works. I would guess I spent maybe $20 for parts.

Attachments

Aug 10, 2016
Oday 12 ft widgeon Maine
My homemade tiller extension (hiking stick) worked very well. My granddaughters, my wife and I spent the afternoon sailing around and it did it's job. We were able to sit in the middle of the cockpit and using the hiking stick easily steer the boat. The winds were gentle, maybe 5-7mph so we didn't put any strain on the connection joint. Also, with the hiking stick not in use it was not in the way and stayed in place with the bungee cord. When it was in use, it didn't interfere with the main sheet. All in all, I'd say it was a success and worth the effort. We used our 17 ft power boat as a granddaughter picture taking vessel and a means for changing crews.

Attachments

Apr 20, 2016
O'Day Widgeon Paola, FL
Great idea, and I like the design. Looks like it came out quite nicely. I think I may do the same for my Widgeon.

Stache

Jul 14, 2018
O'day Widgeon Enfield, NH
Very professionally done. Looks better than a factory produced one.