Top painting on a budget

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 1981 Hunter 27 Saint Petersburg, Florida
Cleaned my boat and see some white paint in the water and paint is a little chalky.
I know that to do a perfect paint job there are like 25 gazillion steps I have to do.
I'm not looking at perfection and if it lasts a year I'm ok with that.
Trying to see if I can paint over and if I can then what to clean/prep the surface with. Again, would like to do it on a budget. Don't know if there certain paint is better for this type of job, or do I just bend over and go to West marine? My budgeted expense will be all blown at proffessional bottom paint this year.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Kommy000 Hi there. Must be nice to be in Florida in the winter.
Are you sure that you saw paint? Or could it have been oxidized gel coat?
Paint means you need to wash, rough up, prime and then paint following the paint manufacturers instructions.
Gel coat is a fine wet sanding process. From Maine Sails tips.. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html
  • Buff Polish & Wax
    Try these products (for Gel-Coat only not intended for Awlgrip)

The Cliff Note Version:
    Steps:
    #1-Clean the hull with an acid base cleaner like FSR, oxalic acid or On & Off to remove rust & tannin staining. (only if necessary)

#2-Wet Sand by hand 600 (if real bad) then move up the grits to P1000+ (only if severely oxidized other wise you can start at #3)

#3-3M Marine Rubbing Compound or Presta Gel Coat Compound (use a wool 3M super buff COMPOUND grade pad like the #05711) (if already fairly shiny start at #4)

#4-3M Finesse It or Presta Ultra Cutting Creme (Use a foam 3M #05725 pad or 3M Yellow Wool # 05713 Note: Yellow wool is far easier and far more forgiving for a novice and will also last a LOT longer than any foam)

#5-(OPTIONAL STEP) Presta Chroma - Use 3M #05725 foam, #05713 wool or Blue Presta wool pad.

#6-Collinite #885 Fleet Wax Paste Version- or 3M Performance Paste Wax. For a polymer coating I like AwlCare or Nu-Finish

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Get Rust-oleum topside paint. Easy to apply and will last a few years. Ease to recoat. Can get it at Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon.

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 1981 Hunter 27 Saint Petersburg, Florida
Get Rust-oleum topside paint. Easy to apply and will last a few years. Ease to recoat. Can get it at Home Depot, Lowes or Amazon.
Would you prime first? Use FSR recommended above? If prime what primer, would be nice to get both big box store

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I used the paint on the topside of my Oday 25. The paint held up well in the Florida and Bahamas sun. The paint scuffs easily as it is not as hard as epoxy paint. The manufacture's instructions are available on the internet. I did not prime and used the paint on bare fiberglass and gelcoated surfaces with no problem. The paint protected the fiberglass from the sun's uv rays. It is $15 a quart from Amazon and does a fair job with minimal prep.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
I sanded mine a bit to rough up remaining gelcoat and then used Brightsides by Interlux