San Juan 34 Gooseneck / Toggle Mast bracket parts?

Feb 19, 2018
San Juan 34 Saugatuck
Hi!--I bought a 1980 San Juan 34 from a friend last summer. I'm new to the site and sailboat maintenance and repair. I'm trying to find a part that connects the boom to the mast. The mast bracket and toggle (I think they are the correct names) are worn. I can't find information on the original mast manufacturer on the boat...so where to go for replacement parts is a challenge. Does anyone have a similiar boat or addressed similiar problems? Know the mast & boom mfg? Any ideas?

Steve H

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve. Welcome to the forum.
One thing that works well here is to post an image of the "thing" you are looking for. Helps to get answers to your questions. And makes the site more entertaining.
Did you by chance get a manual for the boat in the sale?
That might help find the parts manufacturer.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had about 5 sailboats and I think the details have been different on each. For yours the boat was last built in 1986 - 32 years ago. The builder, Clark Boat Company, is gone. Tanzer is the closest but also went out of business. If there is a class association or web site you may find someone who is parting out a boat - but expect that one to be worn too. Otherwise almost no one who has one is going to sell it. Another option is nautical consignment. Most of those places have parts like that but would be hard pressed to tell you what boat they came from. It would be a creative re-use of some other part. Finally, you have the part so a machine shop can probably make a new one. It will be costly but at least you can have confidence in it.
Or you can jury rig it like most of us do.

Feb 19, 2018
San Juan 34 Saugatuck
John, Thanks for the message and quick reply. Being new to the site, I didn't realize I could post a picture! Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm looking for the part shown below.

I received manuals with the boat, and have looked through them, but haven't found any clues leading to mast or boom manufacturer or model.
upload_2018-2-19_13-29-2.png

upload_2018-2-19_13-29-36.png

upload_2018-2-19_13-30-17.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve.. It looks like the part is an aluminum extrusion. You are bound to have a metal shop in the area that could cut a replacement out of a billet of aluminum stock with a CNC machine and a water jet.
You will likely have more luck there than finding a replacement part.
The suggestion of a boat consignment shop is a possibility.
Otherwise try to look at Dyer or Selden masts to find a boom size that is similar to yours. They may have a different design that you could adapt to your need. Yours is just a fixed goose neck.
Here is a fixed gooseneck from Dyer. It is designed to slip into the boom end and then be attached to a fixed point on the mast. The trick is to find a matching boom profile like yours from the San Juan.

Here is the boom profile
DM-375 Boom

Dimensions: 2.25 in. x 3.75 in.
Weight: 1.14 lb./ft.
Ix = .59 in^4
Iy = 1.52 in^4