HydroLift Muffler Base

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my C30, the hydrolift muffler sits on a base about 4" in height.
I'm guessing the base is fiberglass covered wood?
I'm looking for a place to mount the glow plug solenoid. Anyone see a reason why I couldn't mount it on the side of the base?
I'd put a cover on it sealed on top to keep it dry.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
A picture of the area would be helpful for those of us not familiar with your engine compartment. Mine is zip tied to the aft side of the engine by the P.O. not pretty but functional.

Mahalo

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Here is a pic showing the aft side of the C30 muffler sitting on a base. There is probably better places to mount the solenoid as Stan mentions. If they screw the muffler down to it it would probably be OK to put a few more screws into it.
I'll go over it again.
Thanks

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
there is a bracket available for mounting the solenoid and circuit breaker on the top of the engine. Universal part number for the M3-20 is
Universal, Bracket, Solenoid, Breaker, 200257
if you google that several sources come up - it costs about $25

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
there is a bracket available for mounting the solenoid and circuit breaker on the top of the engine. Universal part number for the M3-20 is
Universal, Bracket, Solenoid, Breaker, 200257
if you google that several sources come up - it costs about $25
As I mentioned earlier, or on Ward's other post about this, why would one want to install anything, that's anything, on a rockin' sockin' engine that didn't need to be there? $25 will buy you tons of nuts & bolts to mount it elsewhere and simply run a wire to the engines glow plugs.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Doesn't matter to me if you or anyone else uses this bracket or not, my intent was simply to let Ward know it is out there and the part number. Universal ain't sharing any profits with me.
That said, I used it and would do so again. It is rock solid and does what it is designed to do well.
I've helped several friends install solenoids on other engines, some we fabicated a bracket from parts on hand, some we bolted to a bulkhead and ran a wire. All seem to work, some jobs look neater than others.

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Do you find that one solenoid works better than others for glo plugs? What is your preference?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I bought the solenoid recommended by Maine Sail.
The Cole Hersee (24059-BP)
A few dollars more than the Ford starter relay. Better? Not sure but when in doubt I follow Maine's advice.