Ladder ideas

Jan 6, 2018
Oday 20 Hilton Head
Hi there, I have a new “old “ Oday 20 sailboat and wondered what recommendations you have for adding a ladder? It would be great to have a permanent transom type ladder however there is limited space and not sure if the transom is strong enough.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Wapakoneta
Hi there, I have a new “old “ Oday 20 sailboat and wondered what recommendations you have for adding a ladder? It would be great to have a permanent transom type ladder however there is limited space and not sure if the transom is strong enough.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, 76Oday20.
I have an O'Day Mariner 19 and have been looking at transom ladders and other ideas for boarding ladders for my boat too. I don't like flimsy or skimpy ladders because I think they don't stand up well and hurt the boat, so pick a decent duty ladder. I am also thinking about adding a transom arch to support solar panels to Dragonfly for an electrical system I have yet to install and a ladder attachment to that is an option I am considering. In that case, I think a side boarding ladder may be better.
I started a thread about Man Overboard procedures and in that, we have discussed the difficulties of a stern boarding due to the pitching caused by waves vs a beam boarding. The mid-beam position seems better for this. Certainly there are more transom mounted ladders for the convenience of storage than any other method. However, consider a stow-away folding ladder that can easily be hung of the side. If you have stanchion supported safety lines, a fold-up ladder attached to a stanchion might serve you best.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 6, 2018
Oday 20 Hilton Head
Thank you for the reply Will, lots of good food for thought. If you do add the transom arch I would like to see a picture.
I just came up with the name, Sund☀g which will be painted on this weekend.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thank you for the reply Will, lots of good food for thought. If you do add the transom arch I would like to see a picture.
I just came up with the name, Sund☀g which will be painted on this weekend.
I will post pics as soon as I build one. Although, it is not my first priority and Dragonfly may not see an arch before her second season in the water. This Summer will be her first under my care.
Before you paint your name, you might be interested in my thread about renaming your boat. Unless she's brand new, then you can disregard it. Have fun.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/the-practical-renaming-ceremony.188929/

-Will (Dragonfly)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I, too, have a Mariner. I chose to use a gunwale hook ladder. My choice was mainly influenced by expediency; I wanted a ladder for swimming, but I did not want a project that would require very difficult body contortions in a barely accessible area of my boat. So a permanently transom-mounted ladder was put at the bottom of the improvements list. Meanwhile, I love the ladder I got (Jif EPV4 http://www.jifmarineproducts.com/marine/products-details.php?product=117) for these reasons:
- Long; easier to lift myself out of the water because I don't have to reach a foot way up to the first rung.
- Heavy duty; a solidly built ladder is easier to use and will last longer than than a flimsy model. Well worth the extra expense.
- Platform rungs; easy on bare feet, not slippery
- Telescoping rails and rotating hooks; makes storage easy.

The downsides:
- People claim that a stowable ladder won't do an accidentally overboard solo sailor any good. My reply is that if I'm knocked overboard while single-handing, no ladder will do me any good because the boat will sail off on its own.
- There is a potential to drop the ladder outside the boat and see it sink. I have a leash on my ladder. the leash gets clipped to the boat before the ladder gets deployed.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I took a used wooden swim platform meant for a outboard motor transom from a salvage yard. Being wooden, I was able to cut down the width so that it would not interfere with the rudder movement. I used only the top braces to attach it to the transom with 3/8 stainless steel bolt, on in an existing whole. I then used aluminum flat stock from Home Depot in an "X" pattern with a piece across the bottom to attach the bottom platform itself. You can then get a telescoping latter what ever length you want. I like the 4 step extension which of course extends about 4 feet below the surface. Some people have added wooden treads to widen the originals. I prefer not too do that as it as weight when folding.

I have since purchased a Mirage sailboat which came with a stern swim platform too. It was of the hard plastic molded type which they had cut off a corner to accommodate a hard turn with the rudder.

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
Hi 76,
I've got an O'Day 22 and also considered a transom ladder but decided against it mainly because it seems the transom is already crowded with an outboard, a tiller and Transducer leaving little room for fishing if I needed to work a fish off the stern. So I decided on a foldup model that will fit in the Lazarette. I can use it on either side and tie it off with a "Leash" so I won't lose it. If you do decide to use a Transom mount ladder its really not a big deal to Epoxy a piece of PT plywood inside that will give you the reinforcement you need.