your experiences with boat police???

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Incident #1
I was about 15 years old. I was pushing my luck, sailing a sunfish while the gale force flags were flying. The harbormaster followed me as far as the mouth of the inlet, Then shook his head & turned around rather than follow me outside. I came back in an hour later with bent spars & no desire to do that again.

Incident #2
I was at then helm of a 35ish foot boat, sailing through Pamlico Sound on a nice sunny afternoon. I was approached from behind by a go-fast boat on plane, from a few miles back. As the boat got closer, two more identical boats fanned out from behind, making the number of visible go-fast boats 3. Then they fanned out again to reveal their number as being 5. When the formation came even with my beam on my port side, they slowed & paced me, with deck guns manned. This lasted probably 15-20 minutes. Then they left. Since I had a passport card with chip in my pocket, I suspect that they likely had my picture on some sort of screen in the pilot house & knew who I was. I am guessing that they ran my background without having any actual direct contact. I have no idea what they were looking for.

Incident #3.
I was in a small skiff, fishing just inside an inlet, probably 100 yards off of a navigation channel. I was approached by a uniformed officer in a 30ish foot center console boat. He came along side & asked me where my life jacket was. I pointed to an open bow compartment. He said “show it to me”. I pointed at it & said “It’s right there, in plane sight. He said “get it”. I put down my rod, crawled 2 steps forward, grabbed it out of the open compartment & held it up. He said “have a nice day” & left.

Incident #4
I was stopped by a 20-something foot center console. I was asked if I had been fishing & if I had any fish on board. I answered no. I was sent on my way. 10 minutes later, at a boat ramp, a cop on the dock gave me the same questions, with the same answers. Then I pulled my boat out.

Incident #5
Again at a boat ramp, this time I was asked for my registration. I gave it. I was asked if the boat was mine. I said yes. I was asked if I had caught any fish that day, I replied “just 1 AJ”. I was asked if I knew the size limit on that fish. I said “28 inch for Atlantic side Greater”. I was asked how big mine was. I said 31”. I was asked to show it. I did. I was sent on my way.

Incident #6
Again at a boat ramp as I was pulling out, I was asked to show my life jackets. I opened the hatch under my forward seating & pointed to several. I was asked if the one on top was an inflatable. I said yes. I was asked if I knew that inflatable jackets only count if they are being worn. I said that "if it is a type 5 inflatable with the performance of a type 3, then it only counts when being worn, but if it is labeled as being a genuine type 3, then it counts regardless if it is being worn or not". I was asked if I knew what type that life jacket was. I replied "that one is type 5, 4 others are type 3". I then looked at the P-touch notes by my helm & volunteered the expiration date on my flares. I was free to go.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Several years ago I was out watching a tall ships procession on lake Ontario, near Kingston. We had about 9 people on board which probably looked like a lot to the CG passing by. I'm sure they thought there was no way we could have enough life jackets on board for the number of people so they turned around and came along side. They were nice enough and only asked to see our life jackets. After we filled the cockpit with more than enough PFDs they said that's enough (we were still digging some out from a locker below) and went on their way.
I see water cops (city police on boats) quite a bit but they never stop sail boats, only power boats.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've been boarded by USCG at 3am 20 miles off the Georgia coast. They were just lights of a passing ship on the horizon, then they were on our stern calling to heave to over their PA. Amazing. Very polite, doing their job, didn't care to look around any more than the main cabin. Even with a walk-in engine room, the captain declined the offer and wished us a good night and a good sail. When we got to Maine, my father went into the local CG station to get material to study for an extension to his headboat license, before they made them universal master mariner licenses. When my father told him what boat he was on, the CO said with a laugh, "Oh, the hasheesh smugglers." You see, on our way out of Clearwater, headed south to the Caloosahatchee Waterways, we came across bales and bales of marijuana just floating out in the water. We hauled one aboard to see what they were, must have been forty pound sacks dried, and called the Coast Guard.
After they took the bail off Sunflower and were reboarding their skiff, the commander asked my father if he hadn't kept some for himself. My father answered that he just wanted to be sure that ALL the marijuana made it back to the station so he was going to be calling ahead to be sure. The commander just smiled and left.

In Clearwater, it was the Marine Patrol, part of the Clearwater Police. One day the local officer pulled into the Marine Ways where Clark Mills built his boats. He had caught Clark's son Joe, out fishing in a small runabout tied to the channel buoy just past the harbor entrance. The officer said, "Mr Mills, you know I just caught your son out there at the buoy fishing and he didn't have a life jacket." Clark looked pained and answered, "I don know what I's gonna do 'bout dat boy. Ya know, sometimes he goes out dar fishn' an he don even have a boat!" True story.

I've never had a problem with the authorities on the water. Heard about plenty though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
About 2004 my wife and I were returning to Narragansett Bay, RI from the Chesapeake where we had wintered our sailboat. It was mid-week in early April (well before boating season would be expected) that we were in the East River at NYC heading for Hell's Gate. We had stopped off Coney Island to wait for the proper time so we could pass Hell's Gate at near slack. We understood that Hell's Gate could be nasty with swirling currents. We showed no registration numbers as we were documented and as Massachusetts residents numbers were not required. As we were motoring along, we observed a CG patrol boat coming toward us. I said to my wife that I bet that we might be stopped- I just had a feeling. Sure enough, as the patrol passed us they turned around and came directly over. I didn't stop as they pulled up alongside. They asked our identity and I told them our names and destination. I told them I was motoring on a schedule to clear Hell's Gate, and they told us that they would not disrupt our schedule. They asked for our address, phone number and both of our names, asked if we had any firearms or anyone else aboard, as well as our documentation number. When I went below to get our documentation paper, they asked my wife all of the same questions again- checking if we both had the same story. I held up the documentation paper and read them the number. They were satisfied that we were who and what we claimed to be and wished us safe passage.
They were very courteous and reasonable about not delaying us since Hell's Gate only has a 15 minute window for easy passage. I think the only reason we were questioned was because it was post-911, we were in the East River around NYC in early April before the normal boating season, and we showed no registration numbers. We just weren't what they would expect to see.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In 20 years of boating in our area, and others, I've never been stopped by authorities. I try to keep my USCG Auxiliary curtesy inspection sticker up to date. Friends of mine in law enforcement tell me that it makes a difference. If you're not doing something stupid, "They won't bother you." Fishing is different. I know restaurant owners who say if they post online striped bass on the menu, they will get a inspection. On the water if you're fishing you will likely be asked to open the cooler.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
San Juan Islands 3 times in 3 years while tied up at a state park. One was State two were USCG. They were friendly and professional, checking safety equipment. I invited them below, displayed the things they asked for, and had a nice visit.

If I were missing something required i'd want to know.

Ken

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Bear in mind the that the USCG does not require probable cause for boarding and search. They operate under a different rule.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Six years on Wisconsin's 2nd largest lake and I think I saw a guy in a brown hat once...I think...

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
In my experience there is a huge difference between the USCG and the clam cops. The USCG is military. They serve just as our other services overseas and in war zones. The young guy or gal who boards us may find themselves operating in the Arabian Gulf next assignment. I have never had any issues with the USCG, and there are plenty of units in New England. I have never been boarded and the one time I might have needed their help, they were there. I always think back to an instance where I witnessed, by radio, the Newport, RI unit rescue a sailboat anchored on a dangerous lee shore in a big breeze and engine not running. Rocky shore, a situation that could have been a loss of life. The sailboat was operated by an elderly couple who had called the CG on 16 and asked for help. They were very nervous. Shortly a small coastie arrived commanded by a young coast guard enlisted crew. Long story short, they executed a perfect rescue by backing their boat down in a big breeze and heavy sea close enough for the woman to take a line and cleat it so they could be pulled off to safety. The sailors were very nervous and the coast guardsman talked to them in a confident and calm manner the entire time. Great job.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The closest I’ve come to an inspection was when a Sheriff’s deputy pulled up, looked intently at my bow and sped away. She clearly was checking my state registration expiration date. She didn’t even ask to see life jackets. (I was wearing an inflatable.)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I've not been boarded, but on a delivery a few weeks ago, in the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, we were pulling into North Landing on the Portsmouth side, to take advantage of a free dock for the night. About 20 yards off the entrance to the tiny little "harbor" where the ferries come in and out, the engine quit. We used our remaining way to get to the seawall, and tie up to it, on the side of the river. While diagnosing the problem, one of the ferry captains driving by hailed us on the radio to tell us we couldn't tie up where we were. I explained our situation (no means of propulsion), and we completed our conversation. When I returned to 16, I was immediately hailed by the Norfolk Police Marine Patrol Unit #2, who asked if I needed any assistance. We had a short chat, and they made it clear they could be called upon if needed. They were very professional, and I was glad they were actively monitoring 16, but had also taken the time to switch channels to follow my conversation with the ferry. Nothing was said about tying up where we had, and we were not hassled in any way.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before I was a sailboat dealer at about 2 am on a snowy night on Smith Mt. Lake enjoying the sight of the snow billowing thru my sails with lights on to include one major light, there came a blue light special with two game wardens whom one was new. They asked why I was out sailing then? My response was the same back to them and then I asked if they were cold? Of course the answer was yes and then invited them on board into the cabin where I had a big Thermos of coffee which we devoured. Then we looked at each other and commented that we were probably the three dumbest folks out on the lake. I said maybe we need to go home to unthaw. We became friends and when it came to sailboats, the new ranger use to call for information. He did say how sailors were more serious about safety which he respected and generally never bothered them

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
at about 2 am on a snowy night on Smith Mt. Lake enjoying the sight of the snow billowing thru my sails with lights on to include one major light, there came a blue light special with two game wardens whom one was new. They asked why I was out sailing then?
I sailed into Gibraltar once, years ago. We noticed a number of very overpowered speed boats painted matt-black in the marina. Apparently, they would load up with Duty-free cigarettes in Gibraltar. In the middle of the night, they cruised the twenty miles across the straights to Morocco, where they traded them for Hasheesh. Then, they raced back across to Spain to sell it and return to Gibraltar where they hadn't broken any laws. You could see the patches, in some, from machine gun bullets. No one would do that stuff in a sailboat.
Sailboat or matt-black speed boat in the middle of the night, profiling?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since this is a sharing post,

Never boarded on the water. I seek out the USCG Auxillary and invite them for an annual inspection at the start of the season. 2017 I got the “Old Salt” and his student apprentice. It was a pleasant 20 minutes of equipment/paper work inspection.

Did get a call from the USCG on 16 one cruise as I neared Admiralty Inlet northwest bound on the Puget Sound. VTS wanted to know my route and intentions. Gave them the info and they came back with directions to stay clear of the north side of the channel. They had south bound traffic that wanted to use the North bound lane in reduced visibility conditions. No problem.. I moved another 1/4 mile north of the line and continued on. Never saw the traffic but suspect a tug captain with his barge wanted to shorten his trip home to Seattle by cutting the corner around Partridge Pt, catching the south bound currents.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
While we have never been boarded, I frequently see the local CG rafting off boats in the river we dock along, always power boats, they work the section of river near us a lot as it is a no wake zone which is about 1/2 mile upstream from the first draw bridge, the local sheriff is a member of the club, they stop by to use the head, couple of great guys, retired state troopers working their summer gig. Its always good to have a trooper boat docked at our place as it is a no wake zone and they do enforce it rather rigidly.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Overall, my experience has been positive. We have a Coast Guard station at the mouth of our marina, yet have never once been stopped or boarded, and we have been there since 1989.
I think there are a couple of reasons: one being that its a sailboat, and second, that our marina has an inspection day every year where the Coast Guard Auxilary folks are invited aboard to do safety inspections. With everything up to date and operational an annual inspection decal is provided. It probably helps to avoid stops by the local sheriff patrol, the state DNR, and the tribal police who are also present.
We have the advantage of being known more as a fishing destination than a haven for go-fast types, which helps to keep things fairly civil, except around holiday weekends. The biggest problem is some of the salmon fishermen think they own the lake and particularly the main channel entrance when the fish are running, and its like running a gauntlet trying to get between them and avoid tangling with their trailing lines.
That said, I think that overall the enforcement entities in our area do a good job, and don’t tend to go off on ego trips to assert their authority.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One idea is consider adding the USCG Foundation to your list of charitable donations.

It never hurts to have the contributor card in your paper packet when asked for your boat papers.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
November, 1980 or thereabouts I was coming down the East River at 2 a.m. (tides dictated timing), passing the South Street Seaport in NYC. Pitch black night with limited reflected light on the water. Suddenly a Coast Guard boat literally pops up next to me all lit up, with the crew pointing guns and someone shouting "What was your last port of call?" Idiot crewman (friend) says "Jamaica, mon" while I shout louder, "City Island. We're heading to Haverstraw for winter storage."
The light went out and the CG disappeared.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Sailing in Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi Sound for 40 years or so, I think I've been stopped or boarded no more than 3 or 4 times. They generally don't pay any attention to sailboaters, I guess on the theory we're not going fast enough to hurt anybody.
One time about 5 years ago did aggravate me though - we had anchored out at Cat Island, an uninhabited barrier island off the Mississippi coast, and spent the afternoon and evening enjoying the scenery and solitude. Around 10 PM we had both taken showers and were enjoying one last glass of wine in the cockpit, rather scantily dressed in the warm weather, when a boat without running lights suddenly put a spotlight on us from about 100 yards away. Here my wife is thinking it's some renegade shrimper coming to mess with us, but turns out it was Customs and Border Patrol wanting to see our documentation and ID's. They were professional about it, I wouldn't say friendly, but really - we had been there all day and they decided to come check on us late at night? Right before they left, the crew leader remarked, "Well, you were anchored in Smugglers Cove." Are you kidding me?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Wow! I’ve been on the water all along the Texas Coast for over thirty five years and the only “boat police” I’ve ever run into was a game warden and he was more interested in counting my ducks than my life jackets. I did get boarded on my sailboat by the USCG about three years ago, they were very courteous yet through, I discovered I was a “how to” lesson for a brand new Coastie just out of boot camp. When they asked to board I asked if he wanted me to heave to he said nope just keep on sailing (like I could get away right?). I had my dog with me and before the young Coastie stepped on board he asked me, “Sir do you have any weapons on board and does your dog bite?” I replied “No sir on both counts but if you get too close to the dog she may lick you to death” At one point I had to ask for permission to tack so that I would not end up in the Houston Ship Channel. Whole,thing took about fifteen minutes and I was on my way with no violations and a”have a great evening sir!”