DIY Stitching--the Correct Tool for the Job?

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
[QUOTE " I should just buy a Sailrite, but I worry that the arm is just too short to sew dodgers and stuff that have a part that needs to be inside the needle." QUOTE]

Bought a Sailrite Ultra-Feed LSZ....Sewed the entire enclosure, including the dodger, as well as the sailpack, cockpit & interior cushions on our boat. Obviously having a longer arm would be a luxury, but not a must.

Since then I have done more then a dozen boats and counting, the Ultrafeed is a work horse.

Superb for sail alterations & repairs.

Paul

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You need to breakdown and treat that lady to a new machine. She will love it and you. I know as my Admirable is a quilter and was treated to a new Janome this year. I got a life vest... Thought it was more than fair.

Though it is unlikely I will ever see a sail from her new baby.
You never know. My Admirable is also a quilter and has always enjoyed sewing. In 2005 we found that the entire leach of our genoa was shot due to failure of the UV cover. I got 4 quotes for new 135% genoas. RTS from local sail lofts came in between $2500 and $3500. We got a quote from Sailrite and it came to $1600 and that included the Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Sewing Machine. After studying the on-line directions she decided that for $900 plus a new sewing machine she was willing to have at it. A few years later she also built our spinnaker for about $900. A new main will probably be in the works in the future and will cost between $700 - $900 depending on how we spec it out.
She was also rebuilt the dodger twice and replace all of the exterior canvas.

Apr 5, 2009
[QUOTE " I should just buy a Sailrite, but I worry that the arm is just too short to sew dodgers and stuff that have a part that needs to be inside the needle."
We sewed a 135% genoa, a large asymmetrical spinnaker and all exterior canvas for our C30 with an LSZ-1. You roll the fabric into a cylinder to fit it through the machine. (See the third photo in post #5)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way cool Hayden. Tell your lady she is special. I accepted that the sails on my boat were on their last legs. Took the genoa (about a 145%) in early 2016 (while my mast was on the hard for refit) to Schattauer Sails in Ballard. Talked to Frank and listened to his expertise. They had the sail for about 6 weeks. I was very pleased for the repairs they accomplished. It is not new but for the $350 investment I got back a sail that will serve the boat another few years as I consider my sail needs.

Apr 5, 2009
Way cool Hayden. Tell your lady she is special. I accepted that the sails on my boat were on their last legs. Took the genoa (about a 145%) in early 2016 (while my mast was on the hard for refit) to Schattauer Sails in Ballard. Talked to Frank and listened to his expertise. They had the sail for about 6 weeks. I was very pleased for the repairs they accomplished. It is not new but for the $350 investment I got back a sail that will serve the boat another few years as I consider my sail needs.
Told and she says "Thank you kindly, Sir".
The 135% on our boat weighs about 35 lbs so it is a chunk of fabric to wrestle. The bulk of the work was done at home by setting up folding tables that we borrowed from our church. We set the LSZ-1 in the kitchen with infeed tables 16' into our family room and out feed tables 16' into the dining room. It took (6) 6' folding tables end-to-end to support the rolled up sail.
after the sail was all put together, we took the sail to the fellowship hall to complete the sewing of the leach and luff edges.
That sail performed excellently and have a wall full of trophies to prove it including two 2nd place finishes in the Round Whidbey Race. Not too shabby for a Catalina

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Hey, I just bought a "new" thing from Sailrite. I was planning on a using VHB tape and a piece of brass to affix snaps to my cockpit seat so mu cushions won't go for a swim. I said to myself "Self, somebody MUST make these for real." A quick search and I found YKK Snads. Yeah, that it, Snads. 40mm diameter low-dome plastic "snaps" that have VHB on the bottom. SO, you snap it to the cushion and position it. Then pull the backing tape and place. Done.

SNADS . . .ask for them by NAME!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Look on craigslist for "industrial" or 'commercial' sewing machines. Also, older machines (like the Kenmore from the 80's noted above) are good options and usually cheap. 'Older' stuff was just made better with metal parts (gears and housings) and you would be amazed at how much those old machines are still serviceable with parts availability. I got my machine for less than $200, its a Pfaff 360 (German I think). There a bunch of youTube videos on it, its features, user guide and all that. Parts are easy to get from vintage sewing supply shops but basically uses standard needles. The seller demonstrated sewing through 4 layers of heavy denim in a zig-zag pattern. Works for me. BTW, this machine is a walking foot and has something like 60 selectable stich patterns. Most of them are decorative for embroidery type work, I'm just happy I can choose from at least a dozen types of utility stiches for strength.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Look on craigslist for "industrial" or 'commercial' sewing machines. Also, older machines (like the Kenmore from the 80's noted above) are good options and usually cheap. 'Older' stuff was just made better with metal parts (gears and housings) and you would be amazed at how much those old machines are still serviceable with parts availability. I got my machine for less than $200, its a Pfaff 360 (German I think). There a bunch of youTube videos on it, its features, user guide and all that. Parts are easy to get from vintage sewing supply shops but basically uses standard needles. The seller demonstrated sewing through 4 layers of heavy denim in a zig-zag pattern. Works for me. BTW, this machine is a walking foot and has something like 60 selectable stich patterns. Most of them are decorative for embroidery type work, I'm just happy I can choose from at least a dozen types of utility stiches for strength.
The Pfaff 360 is not a walking foot machine.

Apr 5, 2009
One of the biggest difference between a home sewing machine and a commercial machine is the max width and length of stiches.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Mine has one... apparently it was added as an upgrade.
Most domestic sewing machines can be fitted with a generic, walking foot accessory, and while sometimes useful, they're a far cry from a true walking foot as found on a Sailrite.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Most domestic sewing machines can be fitted with a generic, walking foot accessory, and while sometimes useful, they're a far cry from a true walking foot as found on a Sailrite.
Baconsails.com has a used Sailrite straight stitch for $495.oo, w/ plastic case.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have access to a Sailrite Ultrafeed and I have done a lot of repairs to my winter cover as well as my bimini and dodger. The short arm on these machines is a limiting factor. However the support and products from Sailrite are outstanding, and the machine will go thru everything I have tried. If Ii were to buy a machine myself, I would opt for one with a longer arm than 10 inches. I think a walking foot machine is a must for multiple layers of heavy fabrics, but I have not attempted with a home Singer.

Apr 5, 2009
Info from Sailrite.
Sailrite LSZ-1 Underarm space = 7"x4.5" base cost $950
Sailrite Pro 4-point Underarm space = 10.5"x4" base cost $3,495
Sailrite Pro 4-point Long Arm Underarm space = 20.5"x4" base cost $4,995

There is no doubt that the Pro and Pro Long Arm are far superior machines. If you are using it all the time for professional work, you bet, but the cost difference is hard to justify for a hobbyist.

Mar 16, 2011
Catalina 320 Everett
Hi Ward,
I saw in one of the forums that you were going to replace the clear vinyl windows in your dodger, where you are doing the sewing, have you done that yet, and if so did you run into any issues with the dodger canvas or windows still fitting correctly ?
I had this done by prof marine canvas firm several yrs ago and the fabric either stretched or shrunk with the new vinyl and the fit was not as good as before, just curious how this might be corrected at the time the sewing is done.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Hayden. That's how I do it with my Sailrite. First, cut a slit in the old so you can get scissors in to cut the old away.