Furler

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
:plus: And maybe a little netting along the lifelines if you think the sail may go overboard.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thank you Sunbird, Dave and Justin,
There are only 2 occasions for Trailering her, beginning and end of season, otherwise she is secured to her slip in Bridgeport, CT.
I think I have 2 questions and I hope I'm not making things more complicated then they need to be.
1. The CDI FF2 was recommended by Dave, Is there a difference in Furlers between a Masthead rig and a Fractional rig?
2. My Genoa has Brass Grommets where the Hanks secure the Sail to the Headstay, Will these Grommets interfere with the operation of the Furler or the installation of a " #6Bolt Rope? " ?

My decision to buy a Furler was motivated by the difficulties encountered while sailing single handed especially when the seas began to pick up while at anchor and raising the Foresail on a pitching deck to say the least was exciting if not foolishly dangerous. While at anchor I had the Genoa secured to the lifeline with bungee cords and it was certainly an adventure setting sail for the return to the Club docks. I suppose I could of motored back but my thoughts are I should be able to Sail because the engine option may not always be available. Other questions may come to mind but my daughter is bothering me to take her Skiing.
While pondering this decision... may I suggest a slight change in your single handing method to make things a little safer and more efficient?
1, Learn to steer with the tiller between your knees. This will leave both hands free to handle the sails.
2. Invest in, or build, a device to stabilize the tiller... google "tiller tamer".
3. Install a "jib downhaul"... a length of small diameter line that connects to the top grommet(not the headboard) and routed down to the stem and then back to the cockpit. Do not run the line inside the hanks... let it fly free. The jib downhaul will not only help you control the drop so the sail will land on the foredeck, but when cleated, will keep the sail from bouncing around.
4. Rig some netting, or lash some cords, from the lifelines to keep the sail from sliding off the deck.
5. Try to get away from using bungee cords. Instead, carry a couple of sail ties in your pocket for any emergencies you main encounter.
6. Before I rigged the jib downhaul and strung a cord "fence" to contain my headsail on the foredeck, I lashed the sail to the rear leg of the bow pulpit... you could use a stanchion, also... the lashing was tied with a slip knot and was long enough to get back to cockpit... I could yank out the slip knot just before hoisting...

I still think a roller furler is cool... you'll spend money on modifying the sail and related hardware... make sure the furling unit has a somewhat flexible foil if you drop the mast often. Both Schaeffer and Harken make small boat furlers designed for that purpose.

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
That is an interesting comment about using a down haul. When I bought her she was parked on a trailer in the North woods of Georgia and when I arrived to bring her home to New York I began to gather up all of the bits and pieces laying around and stowed them in the cabin and while doing so I came across a small block attached to the same chain plate as the fore stay and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was for. Go figure.

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
After reading and considering all of the posts I've decided to use a Downhaul and Netting on the Bow sections of the Lifeline. I'm not sure I'll like the aesthetics of the netting but for this season we'll give it a go. Certainly I feel my money would be better spent on the needs and less on the wants at this point of the game. A Furler will eventually work its way up the priority list.
Thank you all for your input.

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
Think about the cost of converting an old sail to roller furling vs buy a new sail when you make the change. Sail makers charge a lot for a conversion and you still have an old sail.
WOOOOOW, okay, I've just put on a CDI FF9 that I got here. I had been dreading the cost of modifying the jib from the local sail loft. Even with other quotes it's half again as much as the furler. I never thought to check the price of a new sail!!! I just thought it would be soooo much more.
So, I believe my jib is a 110, what about putting a 135 or 150 on the furler? I can adjust its size so larger for light air and reef for heavier sounds good to me. I will have the foam so as to maintain the shape along with not being a "performance" guy, leave that to JackDaw, what should a guy new to this large a boat get for the one and only head sail?

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
I would like to add also: Try a "down haul" on your jib before going to a furler. Cost is very little and some of us (especially if lines are lead back to cockpit) prefer over a furler.
I've done the down haul and it works. Problem is on my boat the jib goes in the water so you have to go forward to collect the sail even with a pulpit. I don't like the sail going in the water and I sail single handed so furler is the only option I see.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If I were to venture a guess the majority of boats with furlers have a 135. Just a guess from observation and no hard data here. You might ask a sailmaker what they build most of the time.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Not fair...but it is over 70 degrees outside this afternoon.....but wind warnings have been issued for gusts over 40 mph...extreme fire danger for grass fires that can quickly become out of control....btw...on our boat furler the jib halyard is internal so it cannot get fouled or has not since 1986.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin is correct...our Genoa was modified as required by Doyle to work with our furler...they had the dimensions, etc. and it was all very painless....they had the genoa so they could put the sun cover on it for when the sail is furled/put away. I t was all very painless...Patrick