Can I use a loos model b on a c22?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
just out of curiosity can I use a model b on a C22? I know the stays are all 1/8 but if all I want to do is tune the rig for a PHRF race for the day before folding it all up n the trailer again can I use this larger loos gauge? It seems like as long as I'm using the numbers and not so interested in the weight scale it would be consistent. But I may be thinking of this wrong.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
do you have large and need small model? i have small, need larger.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you are looking for pure REPEAT-ABILITY that yes you are fine. While the representation will be off, ever time it shows (say) '20' the tension will be the same.

If you find someone with the right gauge, you can one-time borrow and set up with his, and then read the numbers on yours. For that ONE setting.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
That's good news all I think it will work for my purposes.
@Apex I don't have it just yet just the opportunity to get one on the cheap and it happens to be the model B. However once I pick it up in a week or so if you want to talk about making a trade shoot me a PM and lets talk. I would rather have the smaller one for 1/8 cable and the model B scale starts with 3/16 so I am just off the scale at the low end even using the cross reference charts.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
That's good news all I think it will work for my purposes.
@Apex I don't have it just yet just the opportunity to get one on the cheap and it happens to be the model B. However once I pick it up in a week or so if you want to talk about making a trade shoot me a PM and lets talk. I would rather have the smaller one for 1/8 cable and the model B scale starts with 3/16 so I am just off the scale at the low end even using the cross reference charts.
good deal LakeShark. Keep me updated. I just moved so will need to locate, but is in brand new shape.

Nov 18, 2018
Sonar 23 Oyster Bay
Resurrecting this thread. If the swap hasn’t happened, I have a Model B that i would swap for an A. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Actually I found an A and it works great. Tuning the rig before a race has really improved my pointing and place in the rankings.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Lakeshark, just a question out of curiosity. Do you change the "tune" based on expected wind conditions or what is the reason for "retuning" before each race? Do you take the mast down to store it and then raise it when you launch each time before the race, thus requiring it to be tuned before each race? If neither of the two, why is it necessary to tune before each race? Or once "tuned," does it get "out of tune" easily? I have a Loos but don't regularly "tune" the mast (mine doesn't come down easily of course) but then again I don't race. Just curious.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@smokey73 those are some great questions. I trailer my boat everywhere I go so I am constantly raising and lowering the mast so it needs to be tuned each time I rig the boat. For general cruising on a nice day I go by feel but when I am entering a race I tune it for the conditions of the day. The Catalina 22 association has various tuning guides for wind conditions and I use them as a starting point. However I have started writing down my own numbers and adjusting from them as I have done it more frequently. If I am racing in a multi day race or if I launched the boat the night before I recheck the tune in the morning when I get back to the boat and usually find it has moved just a bit and requires a quarter turn or so on the turnbuckles to bring the mast back in tune for conditions. I just chalk that up to cable stretch when the rig has been up for more than 24 hours. With a properly tuned mast I gain almost a degree of upwind performance and a knot or two on other points of sail. With the addition of a barber hauler I gained another 3 degrees of tacking angle and speed on all points of sail. In my opinion the extra 30 min or so of rig tuning for a race is well worth the time as I will easily lose that much time on the course anyway.

On a larger boat like yours where it stays riged all the time in a non racing condition checking the rig tune once or twice a year is more than adequate. When I lived onboard a larger sailboat I did not race and only checked the rigging tune every year or two as I was never out there to push the rigging and at that time did not have the knowledge to properly tune the rig anyway. Instead I was the guy that would go up in the mast in the chair and disconnect all the upper stays at once to replace them before doing the lowers (replaced the standing rigging on 3 different 30 footers this way)! The mast sure is wobbly with no stays on it though I am not sure I would recommend that process anymore as with age also comes wisdom or so they say.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks Lakeshore, I was kind of figuring it was mostly because you rigged the mast up an down to launch and then for fine tuning for the conditons of the day. I have a backstay but it is not rigged as an adjustable backstay. I guess if I raced I'd put in the gear to have it adjustable.