Lost outhaul line inside of boom

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
I own a 1991 Hunter 42 Passage and need help.
Any ideas how to find a lost outhaul line inside the boom? I wasn't paying attention when pulling the sail off for the season and not sure why I didn't have the line knotted but I lost it inside boom. Has anyone else had to fish this line out or do I have to take boom apart (crying)? How do you take the boom apart to get to the line?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Before you take it apart, taking it OFF the mast and standing it vertically will allow you to feed the line through again from the mast side to the exit sheaves. On most boats that size getting the boom off (from the mast and vang) is about a 10 minute job.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the outhaul a direct (i.e. single) line from the mast to the end of the boom? or, Is there an intervening "block" inside the mast?

The with regard to the "fix" ids different.

Does your H42 have in the mast furler? Do you have picture(s) of the end of the boom? The process might be somewhat different depending on these answers and your condition.

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
I don't have pictures but pretty sure it has blocks. No furler

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the end of boom open at all?

How's the front of boom? (Just blocks for the furling and outhaul?)

You're going to have PULL the internal block aft or forward. Then, re-feed and/or reconnect the aft fixed line to the multi-part block.

You want to be careful not to "wrap" the lines inside the boom. You may have to refeed them all -- but I don't think you need to go there yet.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I pulled a reefing line into my boom once by mistake. My boom end is somewhat open. I took a long piece of wood, screwed a screw into one end, so the point of the screw came through the wood and made a nice sharp “hook” at the end of the stick. I was able to poke it into the boom to where the end of the reefing line was sitting, raised the stick and brought the screw down on the line...then pulled out the stick with the line stuck on the screw.

Greg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
In a similar situation, I had pretty good luck taping off all holes except for two, then blowing compressed air into one of the two open holes. The line blew out the other hole. Big air lines with lots of CFM are your friend when using this trick.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
In a similar situation, I had pretty good luck taping off all holes except for two, then blowing compressed air into one of the two open holes. The line blew out the other hole. Big air lines with lots of CFM are your friend when using this trick.
That sounds too good to be true! But if it’s true I LOVE it.

Patrik

Apr 1, 2008
Hunter 356 Stockholm
I have a mast with infurling and used a tension spring in steel that electrician uses. It's easy to plug into one end of the boom and then tape the rope where it comes out.
Patrik

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That is a complete violation of Murphy's Law.
I failed to mention that I screwed the screw into my hand, dropped my $200 20-volt drill in the drink, lost my phone and sunglasses into the drink while trying to rescue the drill, snagged 2 other lines with the screw bad enough that they need to replaced and broke the stick once (and that piece s still in the boom)...
:banghead:

Greg