Cutter needs new prop

buoy

Jan 26, 2008
Hunter 37' Cutter Lake Lanier
l have 37’ cutter. I need new prop. I would like a 3 blade prop. What size prop for 3QM30 with 1” shaft?
Can you feel difference? Performance? Backing up? And speed?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I can't tell you what size but I can say that I've gone from 2-blade to 3-blade Campbell Sailors on my last 2 boats. Some increase in speed in calm water but when motoring into a stiff breeze and chop it makes a huge difference. More control in reverse, slightly less prop. walk and a little more drag but less than a Michigan Wheel. Unless you're going to spent the big buck for feathering a prop I'd get a Campbell.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I would like to have a Maxprop or similar, but after 17 years with the original 2-blade, I think I can live with it. I figure I would notice the extra drag of a 3-blade and the stock prop works well enough except in a strong headwind with big waves, when I seem to lose a knot or two. Everything in a boat is a compromise and the prop is no exception. Does anyone know if the later ('84 - '85) H37 Cutters that had the Yanmar 4JHE came with 3-blade props from the factory?

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I replaced my 3Qm30 with a Nanni 30 and the original 2 blade fixed prop with a three blade folding Flexofold. The difference the prop makes when in chop or high wind is amazing. In calm water I gained about 1 1/2 knots of cruising speed under power. Very little drag under sail. Very pleased with the prop mod.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
I have had a two blade folding Martec on Midnight Sun for 35 years. Absolutely no issues going forward. Reverse is pretty much just a bunch of noise.