Shaft hose question

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I want to service my stuffing box. I noticed when I backed off the retaining nut the rubber hose spins on the shaft log. It moves pretty easily, no matter how much I crank down the two hose clamps on the aft end of the hose. Should Some kind of sealant be added where the hose secures to the log.

As far as I know the hose didn’t leak but it is possible. I know the stuffing box leaked more then desired and it was cranked down hard.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Migh be time to replace the stuffing box hose. But in order to do that, you will have to at least remove the coupling from the end of the shaft. That can be a tough job, depending on when it was last removed.

I wanted to replace my old bronze shaft last winter. I did not cut the shaft to remove it, and had to press the coupling off the old shaft. It was tough to get off!

I did finally remove it, removed the shaft, replaced the stuffing box hose before installing a new shaft and coupling.

If you can get the coupling off, you should be able to replace the hose without removing the shaft. But you may want to replace the coupling since you have it off. They are supposed to be a light press fit, and depending on the age/condition, it may not be a press fit any longer.

My new hose was much thicker walled than my old worn out hose, and I feel much better about it. I was worried it could twist or fail if I tightened my stuffing box nut too tight.

I was able to reuse my old bronze turfing box.

Good luck!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I did not. The new hose fit very tight on the stuffing box, and a little loose on the shaft log. I thought about some sealant on the shaft log end, but with the 2 clamps, I was able to get it tight without any sealant.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Remove the stuffing box and hose and replace hose. No sealant should be needed.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I was just working on the stuffing box and realized the hose wasn’t secured low enough on the stem tube. I loosened the clamps and slid the hose deeper on the tube and Reese cured the clamps. Much better now.