Cross Reference for M18 to Kubota Parts

Sep 29, 2015
Catalina 30 2188 St. Petersburg
I am trying to replace my injectors and my injector pump. However, like many of you I do not want to pay $900+ for a Universal. I would like to find the cross reference number for the Kubota Z600 Block for both of the items. Anyone have a cross reference part number? I know the Universal part number is Injection Pump 299525. Any help would be appreciated.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I am trying to replace my injectors and my injector pump. However, like many of you I do not want to pay $900+ for a Universal. I would like to find the cross reference number for the Kubota Z600 Block for both of the items. Anyone have a cross reference part number? I know the Universal part number is Injection Pump 299525. Any help would be appreciated.
Type in G5200 on the Kubota site and it will give you the engine equivelanr for the D600.
If you go on the Catalina28 yahoo website they just want though this a couple of months ago. I ordered a injector pump this way.

Thanks
Peter Budzynkiewicz
CATALINA28 #272

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Are you sure it's an M18?
If your boat is an '80, it might have a 5411. Unless someone replaced it.
The M18 came out in '83.
Also, be certain it's the injector pump that's the culprit. They rarely fail.
I'm sure you've checked all this, and it says M18 on the valve cover. Just sayin :)

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
It was the injector pump on my 93 Catalina 28 it was conformed and repired. I have the M 3 20 on my boat but based on the D600 block number tha the PO states that he had that is the cross reference .It was researched by. Number of individuals on the Catalina28 website.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It was the injector pump on my 93 Catalina 28 it was conformed and repired. I have the M 3 20 on my boat but based on the D600 block number tha the PO states that he had that is the cross reference .It was researched by. Number of individuals on the Catalina28 website.
That's nice.
Especially if the block is a D600, the determination of which originated with the poster assuming he has an M18. Yet, as I said, the M18 was introduced 1983, 3 years after his boat was built.
Hence my question to the poster, "Are you sure (you have) an M18?"

Also, your motor's diagnosis is irrelevant to the poster's. It's also a different model. And I said they rarely fail, not they never fail.
It's a valid recommendation to troubleshoot other, less costly possibilities. I'd hate to see a fellow sailor dump a $gr on something he didn't need.

Sep 29, 2015
That's nice.
Especially if the block is a D600, the determination of which originated with the poster assuming he has an M18. Yet, as I said, the M18 was introduced 1983, 3 years after his boat was built.
Hence my question to the poster, "Are you sure (you have) an M18?"

Also, your motor's diagnosis is irrelevant to the poster's. It's also a different model. And I said they rarely fail, not they never fail.
It's a valid recommendation to troubleshoot other, less costly possibilities. I'd hate to see a fellow sailor dump a $gr on something he didn't need.
It is an M18. I had it repowered a few years ago. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump. only pumping on one side at the lower end at the pump.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It is an M18. I had it repowered a few years ago. I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump. only pumping on one side at the lower end at the pump.
Got it.
You've narrowed the symptom down to detail. That's good because there are experts on this board who might know what is causing that.
Such as @Maine Sail , who is intimate with Universal diesels.

It'll be a little bit funny if he comes on and says, "Yeah you need a new injector pump". :)
But there's a chance he knows something that'll save you a thousand.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
From al of the research I have done on my M-18, the engine used was a Kubota Z-600. The Z series are two cylinder engines and the D series are 3 cylinder (from what I understand). I located a new set of injectors for my M-18 on _bay for about $50.00 each. As best I can tell, the latest Kubota part number is 70000-65208. This just for the injector body. You will have to re-use the return line fittings. I believe this is also the same injectors used on the Kubota D-800 (three cylinder) which is the M-25. I cannot help with the injector pump. If it really is bad, then I would remove it and take it to a diesel rebuild business and have it rebuilt. Way cheaper than trying to buy one through Westerbeck. It is a Kubota pump after all, and there were a lot of them made.

What do you mean by "only pumping on one side at the lower end at the pump"? Do you mean it is only running on one cylinder? Have you bled the line that is not working? Could be that there is an air pocket in the line or at the pump.

Please keep the group informed with what you find.

Mitch

Sep 29, 2015
I have bleed the lines. However it appears to be intermittent. When I try to crank it with the lines disconnect at the pump both injectors squirt fuel. Then the next time I try only on side does. I will continue to try and bleed all the lines again next weekend and update.