Tiller swing takes up space in cockpit...

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
My son wanted to join the Lake Cayuga Coast Guard Auxiliary. His parents told him to concentrate on his studies.
Beautiful lake.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Such controlling parents! We would have done the same. LMAO.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Visiting son and I took the 1990 Mac 26S out sailing today so I did a ballpark measurement. The floor area in the cockpit is close to 6 foot long. The tiller only sticks into that area 2 foot at the back end leaving 4 feet where the tiller doesnt interfere. I think my tiller is stock and after my quick measurement, understood why I couldn't completely relate. But.. I suppose if you try and get three people on a side.. then the tiller would be in the way.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
I had the same issue with my Catalina 27. I had a spare tiller, so I modified it by cutting it off just forward of the autohelm pivot point - making it about 12” shorter. I put this tiller on when sailing with the wife and friends - it’s still plenty long enough for the gentle/social sailing I’m doing and we don’t take these cruises if bad weather is coming. There is easily room for 4 in the cockpit this way.
I do have to be careful going astern, as the rudder can pull hard if it is away from center.
At other times I put the normal tiller back on - it takes less than 5 minutes to change.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I didn't find any examples of an actual tiller that is telescoping but I don't know why not.

Tiller extensions come this way.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our tiller is curved so it lifts the end above our knees when we are sitting in the cockpit. I wonder if this solution would work on a MacGregor?

Here are some options from WM:

0E4FED6F-DCF5-4577-968D-DD57EBE3DF61.jpeg

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I had the same issue with my Catalina 27. I had a spare tiller, so I modified it by cutting it off just forward of the autohelm pivot point - making it about 12” shorter. I put this tiller on when sailing with the wife and friends - it’s still plenty long enough for the gentle/social sailing I’m doing and we don’t take these cruises if bad weather is coming. There is easily room for 4 in the cockpit this way.
I do have to be careful going astern, as the rudder can pull hard if it is away from center.
At other times I put the normal tiller back on - it takes less than 5 minutes to change.
I did something similar. The purists are going to cringe or flame me, but this works for me. I purchased a wooden baseball bat and cut the barrel end to fit. I steer with the handle in. It doesn’t stick out into the cockpit at all. Works great when I have guests aboard as the focus is on calm sailing not breakneck speed.

I wrapped the handle with blue parachute cord with a silver reflective tracer. It looks so cool.

With all that, you loose a lot of leverage, so if it’s going to get rough I have to switch back.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ignore what ‘purists’ say. Use what works and feels comfortable.

On the Figaro solo race boats, each skipper has a T-shaped tiller created that looks like this, adapted to their size and use patterns. What’s best is what works.

C926CDC6-10A4-472E-BB24-573170A09D51.jpeg

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Thanks everyone! So far it has just the two of us, but we like to sit close usually. That may also have something to do with it. I have been sitting a bit forward of the tiller, and I do lift it if necessary to clear something (or someone). I guess we’ll just have to take a little more time to work out how to be comfortable with the space we do have.

I could definitely see (or feel) the value of having an extension the last time out. I’ll work on how long i need/want it to be...

And as Jackdaw said, I realize that I probably shouldn’t have to move the tiller as much as I do - just knee-jerk over responses.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I agree that on a mac, the tiller handle doesnt need to be as long as it is.
if the boat is balanced, and you know when to let out some mainsheet in a gust, you can steer the boat with 2 fingers on the tiller...
on a 26s you could shorten the tiller and set in either rear corner of the cockpit and keep the rest of the cockpit clear... until ready to tack... and, as has been said, if necessary, make an extension you can slip on for when you may have to move forward a little to tack while single handing.