Came to the dock and saw my boat out of the water!

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Well, I didn't see that one coming... I knew that tides affected the river where I am mooring my Vision 32 , but when I saw it sitting up about 9 inches out of the water, I was a little worried. Thankfully the lines had slack and weren't pulling the cleats off the boat or dock. Also, the wing keel is a blessing because otherwise it could have tipped over onto another boat or the building. I will have to figure out if I can get her to another slip! -0.4 on the tide table tonight... but -2.7 in a couple weeks.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You got lucky there. I once selected a new slip in the marina during the winter while the boats were on the hard. This slip was wonderfully located on the outer edge of the marina unlike the slip I already had. I was surprised to find that it was vacant, given its ideal location, in this crowded marina. After I reserved it for the next season and cancelled my existing slip reservation, a negative tide arrived. I drove down to the now vacant and frozen marina, broke the ice at the edge go my new dream slip and measured 24 inches depth! I draw five and a half feet. A quick run to the marina office to put my old reservation back and then count my blessings. The grass is always greener.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Jim, the tide shifts have gotten worse with the super moon this month as well. Add to that fact that you're moored in a river, and precipitation or the lack of it will skew any tide tables you have with outflow and whatever else happens upstream of you. I'm sure that the DYC can help you figure out how to avoid groundings at dock and give you some local knowledge of what you might expect from upstream events. As you point out, the combination of the wing keel and the softer river bottom makes itthe grounding less threatening to your boat's underside. But this is something that you will need to keep in mind for any voyaging plans in the future: You do not want to get stuck in the Duwamish on your way to a nice anchorage in the Sound.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
9 foot tidal range this week in Dana Point.
The below pics high vs low were over a span of 7 hours.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
Here is a shot of the boat on the guest dock 2 nights ago where there is a lot more water. (But still pretty low)
Everyone at the yacht club has been very helpful and accommodating.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would be concerned about the condition of the rudder if I saw our boat grounded like that

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Luckily, the bottom is more than a few feet of mud.
Mud ??? We're in an older marina. I'm certain that the bottom is entirely covered with tools, shackles, eye glasses, whiskey bottles, the occasional mobile phone, and all other manner of things that can wander overboard. I'd love a low tide just to get a handle on half the stuff I've personally thrown over the side! Alas, we're on a little lake here, and only get depth changes due to heavy winds.