What's Her Name?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Dalliance was named by the P.O. I sailed on the boat with him for seven years before buying it, so it seemed an especially bad idea to change the name. A euphemism for an affair; dawdling; frivolous expenditure of time and money. It's a sailboat name in every way.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Our boat is the Dalmatian but our dinghy has been on FB quite a bit lately. It's name is Pooper Scooper. We've had boaters take a picture and post it. Then as it gets shared we will have a friend get it on the fourth or fifth share and let us know where they saw it. Even the Customs and Border Patrol that came along side doing a routine check had a smile on their face.

All U Get

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
We named our boat Billie Rae, after my late father in law, who introduced me to sailing when my wife and I were dating. He named his Flying Scot after her and so it seemed an appropriate turnabout, as well as a nice way to take him with us whenever we sail. The added benefit is that we get to reminisce and tell people about Bill, who was a scholar, theologian, community leader and an enthusiastic sailor, and who left us way too early.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've always tried to find names that were unique and important to me.
My first big boat was TASCO II (Thomas A. Short Co), a Phil Rhodes ocean racer (a terrible cruising boat) which seemed inappropriate for me, so I took her back to her first name, Mistress, which was OK, but not special.
Next I named a Brown Searunner that I sailed a good bit of the way around the world, Haleakala, which means 'house of the sun' in Hawaiian, which seemed pretty apropos for a tropical cruising boat.
I wanted to name this boat Haleakala also, but by 2009 there were dozens of boats named that, so I went with Skipping Stone as there were none listed in any of the registries I searched back then (not so today, by the way). It seemed apropos for this boat, a pretty heavy old girl with a light step on the water.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ever since my grand-dad had a thunderbird convertible in the early 60's I always was drawn to the name and the symbol. When our boat was brought to Lake Hopatcong, ours was about the largest sailboat on the lake, so with the large sail plan it felt like an appropriate name. I've always wanted an emblem to go with it but haven't found anything that appeals completely.
Our dinghy will be named "T-bird" to shorten it for a small transom. Now that we are a small boat, Thunderbird doesn't seem to fit exactly but I still like the name.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As far as cute names are concerned, "Stuck in Traffic" is the best I've seen. Boss or wife call and ask, "Where the heck are you?" you can say, "Stuck in traffic." and not be lying, when you are really out sailing on a lovely day.

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
Previous owner had always wanted to sail to Hawaii and back by himself. So he bought the boat, spent a couple of years going through everything inside and out, sailed to Kauai and back... and then put the boat on the market. "I like working on boats, and there's nothing left to do to this one, so I need to get another one..."
"Makana" is the Hawaiian word for "gift". Given the way this lovely boat fell into our laps, it seems to fit....

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
My m25 is named "Blew Ayes" so when people ask where I am she tells them "he's with blew ayes!". By the way my wifes eyes aren't blue. My other sailboat, a hobie 16 is named "Blown engine" . I just liked that name and had never seen a sailboat with it. I was a mechanic for 27 years and the supercharged(blown) engine in my hot rod was blown at the time. My wife says it sounds like bad karma but the hobie doesn't have an engine to blow. The wind IS the engine, so its fast when it blows. I like hearing the stories behind all the names on boats. Fun thread.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We raced against a boat on Lake Erie Named "LIQUOR BOX".......
Now That is unusual...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
The only two Sea Scout boats I know are a pair of J-24's named Scout's Honor & Scout's Pride. Did those guys not get the message bout the Start Trek names? Or is a J-24 not considered a big boat?
JimInPB,

I'm actually not sure about the Scouts in Florida, as I've never had the pleasure of meeting any of them. But yes, most of the larger Scout vessels in Texas are named after Star Trek ships (Enterprise, Envie, Defiant, Voyager, etc.); most of them are 30-50 foot sloops or cutters.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
What a beautiful Boat ! Wish I was on it right now. It is cloudy and about to turn very cold. Have a great time in
Charleston....and please, have the best Christmas ever with your family in Chareston! Pat and Heather