H340 Freshwater Pump Not Working

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter 340 Oxnard CA
Hi,

My 2001 H340's freshwater pump stopped working. It is a Jabsco Par- Max 2.8 model 30595-0092. No noise from the pump when I turned on the breaker switch and faucets (cold and hot).

I have checked:
1) the breaker light is on when it is switched on.
2) unplugged and replugged the red wire terminal at the pump. Is that terminal for the pressure switch?
3) no inline fuse.

I have not checked for any current going to the pump as that will require me to expose (cut into) the black wire connection - I tried to delay any cutting at this juncture. Can I assume there is current because the breaker light is on?

The pump, hot water tank and hoses are under the saloon port settee. Disconnecting the pump and its hoses, I foresee there will be quite a lot of water draining out from the hot water tank and from the hoses. Will the water drain into the main bilge? If not, how best to drain them or to contain the outflow?

I could not find the same model pump. The closest one found pis 2.9 GPM 31395-0392. Will be that be the correct replacement?

This is my first boat and would welcome any inputs, suggestions etc.

Thanks very much.
Chew

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter 340 Oxnard CA
Thanks Terry. Any suggestions on containing the water deluge? Thanks again.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Thanks Terry. Any suggestions on containing the water deluge? Thanks again.
There should be a shutoff just forward of the pump to keep the main tank from emptying. As far as the water heater, if it doesn’t have a shutoff valve maybe you can free enough hose going into the heater that you can raise it after you disconnect it and get it high enough to keep from flowing out.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You would assume that your old pump and the new replacement pump would have the same footprint. And you would be wrong. My new pump was a little wider. So in its mounted position, the locker lid wouldn't close. I had to move the pump down, and of course that meant that I couldn't get a screwdriver into both lower holes for the mounting screws because of the curvature of the hull. Typical annoying boat job stuff.
As for the deluge of water, which I didn't have, can you clamp the hoses to stop or slow the water? In any event the water will drain and be handled by the bilge pump, right?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When my Shurflo pump died I ordered the wrong pump and than called Shurflo
and they gave me the # for the exact replacement and got the # on their web site.
I got the best price from Amazon and Marine supply wanted so much more.
Nick

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter 340 Oxnard CA
Thanks Johann and Shemdre.

I will take the opportunity to install a stop valve between the pump and the water heater.

Life is full of surprises and boat jobs are no exception. I can’t use the same mounting holes for the new pump. Luckily I have a fairly flat surface to work with.

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
We have the same model. Just forward of the pump is a strainer and just forward of that is a shutoff valve. It is located under a small lift-off access panel under the forward part of the settee. When replacing the pump, we used 5200 to bond a piece of wood to the settee side to use as a base to screw into, as we chose a replacement pump with a different mounting pattern.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any suggestions on containing the water deluge
Hi Chew, any sea or fresh water that enters our boat, whether inside or out, will drain into the main bilge. The bilge pump will discharge it when the level rises enough to activate the bilge switch. Yours should be set up the same way.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When I had pumps go bad or stop working I took apart and tried turning the pump with some kind of tool and some times it helped but not always.
I had my fresh water pump in my RV stop working and took it apart and got it working but
than froze up 2 days later,my anchor wash pump stopped working 6 months after it brand new and got it working again so far but will buy a better backup with better reviews that were not very good for this new one I got.
I think on a boat moisture is always there and after sitting too long things get coated with a film and prevent motors from working but sometimes they just go bad.
Nick