Spinnaker tack point?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was looking at other options for a block location for the tack point. It occurred to me that I already have a roller on my anchor roller. The line in the picture is a dock line for illustration purposes only. The line goes through the roller and the up to deck level. The two potential issues I see are lots of stress on the anchor roller hardware and the line potentially chafing the deck or the deck chafing the line.
What say y’all? Could this be a good option?
P.S. I won’t argue y’all’s thoughts. I honestly don’t know if I like this idea or not.

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Kinda hard to describe, but a "soft shackle" attachment that goes around the roller and allows the block to be above the whole roller assembly. In this video, at about :33, assume that the deck cleat is your anchor roller. If the line is long enough to loop around the roller, it's easy to attach and take off.
Heck, you could even make it long enough to get the tack point up around rail height.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There is a lot of upward loading on the tack line that could possibly be magnified by the leverage created by the "arm" part of the roller. The roller is structured to raise weight, rather than contain an uplifting force. Pay close attention to this action. Static and extending sprits will have reinforcement features such as bobstays or oversized brackets.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Just a few ideas. How about adding a reinforcing plate underneath. A heavy-duty s.s. angle iron should be enough.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
On the 260 and cannot remember about the 26, you have to realize the anchor roller assembly is anchored by stainless steel bolts drilled and tapped into aluminum encapsulated in the fiberglass, so you will need to be cautious if using as a tack to style for a spinnaker. Howeve I have seen where it was thru bolted with a continuous backing plate underneath. Food for thought.