Are there any sailors racing their MacGregors in PHRF regattas here?

Dec 13, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 26D 646 Lake Ray Hubbard
I'm new to this site and looking to see if there are any racers here to share ideas with.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Hi, afew years ago I was racing my Venture 25, and had her pretty well modified. What you want to chat about?

Dec 13, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 26D 646 Lake Ray Hubbard
IMG_0429.JPG
I just don't see many Macs racing now days which surprises me since the early Venture 22, Macs 25, Macs 26D & S boats were raced years ago and were very popular due to their low cost. I've been racing for 6 years now and we normally do quite well at regattas in Texas. I started out racing on a Macgregor 26D by the name of "Wings" and the owner has over a room full of regatta trophies racing her. I'm thinking about starting a web page on racing Macs. Your thoughts?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm always a fan of seeing non-traditional boats racing. Seeing a Mac with a backstay flicker makes me smile.

I'd suggest posting in the regular racing forum. You'll get good feedback from other (non-Mac) racers as well, and for sure there'll be more people reading.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I race our Mac 25 ever time there's another boat on the lake. even won a few ;) .

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice looking setup, but looks super uncomfortable! ;^)
I like the light air setup in the top picture; everything soft and crew low.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Nice looking setup, but looks super uncomfortable! ;^)
The four slats in the cockpit well look like they are some sort of foot stops for a sort of hiking. Probably does make a difference as the ratio of weight of the crew to weight of the boat is relativity high. You must be younger than I am however.. LOL. Many years ago, someone on this forum actually had a trapeze set up for a 26D.. Im not sure if they kept that config or if its even "legal" but interesting. Nice deck sweep jib to close the gap. Also something I couldn't live with because of the visibility issue but from my experience I bet those boats set up that way are fast in light winds.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.. Many years ago, someone on this forum actually had a trapeze set up for a 26D.. Im not sure if they kept that config or if its even "legal" but interesting..

Not a trapeze but what they use in the races at Georgetown in the Bahamas...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015 Bahamas/2-Bahamas-2/Bahamas-Page-13.html

Sumner
============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
CH, Im not into racing - its not the sport I got into so Im not very useful for your thread. However, I hope you keep posting pictures of your nice setup! I dont race but like ideas that get the most out of the boats performance. You are already familiar with the really nice ability to post pictures on SBO.

Anyhow.. welcome and hope you post more..

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
This is in the historical context. There was a Venture 21 that was as big class winner for years in SoCal. Was tricked out. Maybe 30 years ago.