Kickup rudder for H23 shoal draft wing keel;WTB

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay
I recently acquired an H23 which has one flaw. It is missing the rudder assembly. The gudgeons mounts have been reinforced but from tiller to tip of the the rudder the steering mechanism is gone. I know I can get a new, upgraded, much improved replacement from after market sources for about a grand with shipping. Alternatively I have a fixed rudder from a similar boat which I can modify and make work, albeit without the kick up feature. I would prefer acquiring an original, stock rudder now collecting cobwebs alongside the shop. Anybody out there who upgraded to RudderCraft have a spare, perfectly serviceable original assembly that can be recycled? I will cover your price and costs for crating and shipping if you have what I need. I notice similar kick up rudders on Catalina and Oday. Would a rudder from a Hunter 22 be interchangeable? Any suggestions of where to appeal or inquire are appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Uncle Crazy Dave could tell you about compatibility. I wonder if the H26 rudder is the same.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Uncle Crazy Dave could tell you about compatibility. I wonder if the H26 rudder is the same.
I’d be amazed if it is. The H260 rudder has nothing in common with the H23 rudder. Other than it determines the heading of the boat.

ryan_s

Apr 2, 2018
Hunter 23 Panama City, FL
Im way over in Florida, but I may have an extra rudder assembly for sale....in fact a whole extra H23 assembly too.

Sep 22, 2017
Thank you so much. I found one in Texas and another one up near Seattle. I am beginning to wonder why they are so prevalent. I acquired the one from Texas and am nearly ready to post a follow up photo. I had the aluminum cassette powder coated and it is beautiful. I have heard some good things about Panama City and your kind offer is another example of why.

Jul 25, 2018
Hunter H23 CYC, So. Portland
Juan--do you have the contact for the Seattle H23 rudder. I recently lost mine in a storm.....

Sep 22, 2017
No. Sorry. It was a Craigslist ad but by then I was no longer needing one. Maybe place a wanted ad in CL Seattle boats parts?