2017/2018 Volvo Ocean Race

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Shoulda checked the current positions before that post. It looks like all have tacked.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK. So what would we do? Vestus will be sailing a closer, slower angle until the wind becomes more of a reach on the rhumline. The others can sail faster but away from the finish. At some point NE of their position on the graphic they will get to jibe and head for the finish reaching. But they will sail extra distance and to go east may need to sail a close angle anyway. I think they have to cover.
Do time deltas make any difference in scoring?
The real question is wither they (Mapfre) were going to split. Its probably the last best big chance that have to gain leverage... tack with them and the'll probably lose the drag-race home with 20nm to make up. But the others probably tacked as well, which forced their hand. At some points its better to secure at least 2nd and not roll the dice.

But I can guarantee that they were happy to see the whole fleet tack with them. SiFi is genius.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
So, fully admitting to not being the world's greatest tactician, why would Vestas have tacked first? If the fleet hadn't followed wouldn't they be at risk of losing out from the split? Why not stay between the fleet and the finish line until someone else tacked first?

Nov 8, 2010
So, fully admitting to not being the world's greatest tactician, why would Vestas have tacked first? If the fleet hadn't followed wouldn't they be at risk of losing out from the split? Why not stay between the fleet and the finish line until someone else tacked first?
100% correct. I'm sure they wished someone would have. But they got to a certain point... and Charlie and SiFi had to make the call to go first, and hope the others followed and didn't split.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
In a pure bull$hit move, the race director
I've become pretty disenchanted with the politics that surround racing these days. That is the main reason why I choose not to race in sanctioned events anymore. You may still find me on a mark boat from time to time, but I don't even want to be on most signal boats anymore. I will not be a P.R.O. I still love the sport. I just have no appetite for the politics.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I always follow, and I'll definitely be in Newport again this year for the arrival. It pairs great with a Mystic Seaport visit, and many other nearby attractions.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So it looks like Vestas, Mapfre and surprise, Dongfeng in that order. When does leg 2 start!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
100% correct. I'm sure they wished someone would have. But they got to a certain point... and Charlie and SiFi had to make the call to go first, and hope the others followed and didn't split.
JD You must not have been following the race very closely. The tacked because the center of rotation went past them, and they were being headed. They tacked when the opposite tack would take them to the finish. They were the first because they were headed first. They sailed at close hauled in a persistent lift for maybe an hour before they hit the lay line and start cracking off to a reach.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I note this AM that Dong Feng has been passed by Team Brunel (TBru) and leads by about 1.5 miles. When I looked yesterday it was a drag race (the whole thing is really) with a lot of talk about how hard it is to pass given the even speed of the boats and quality sailors. So does anyone know if something happened? Blown sail change?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
DFRT passed Mapfre as well?

*edit: Looks like Brunel is a bit further east, which gives them the lead based on the angle to finish line. Still a drag race of sorts, and no appreciable speed differences and the top 5 teams within 15nm of each other, with 3100nm to go.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So for leg two, Mapfre, DongFeng and Vestus. So Mapfre has a first and second. DongFeng a third and second. And Vests and first and third. I don't know about the weighting system and there isn't much on the website about it. Maybe in the daily updates but I usually can't find the time to watch them - considering 80% of the broadcast is fluff. Anyway, those three boats are making it interesting. I think Mapfre went most west off of SA. I then lost touch due to a health problem in my family. Did the west position payoff? I note they won by about 4 hours so that was quite a lead considering most of the first two legs.

Nov 8, 2010
So for leg two, Mapfre, DongFeng and Vestus. So Mapfre has a first and second. DongFeng a third and second. And Vests and first and third. I don't know about the weighting system and there isn't much on the website about it. Maybe in the daily updates but I usually can't find the time to watch them - considering 80% of the broadcast is fluff. Anyway, those three boats are making it interesting. I think Mapfre went most west off of SA. I then lost touch due to a health problem in my family. Did the west position payoff? I note they won by about 4 hours so that was quite a lead considering most of the first two legs.
High- point scoring. With 7 boats, 7 points down to 1 for each place. 1 bonus point for the each leg win.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Leg 3 is underway. From the looks of the videos and the VMG's it looks like they are getting their brains bashed. If I ever dream of such a voyage those images pretty much cure it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If anyone is still following this Mapfre has passed Dong Feng with around 1600 nm to go. They've sailed 5,000 miles in ten days, which makes an average of nearly 500 miles a day! The leaders are expected to finish on or near Christmas day. So, like 6500 miles in 17 days. Looks like the leaders will enjoy good breeze heading to the finish whereas the back of the fleet may run out of gas. Another example of why it's best to be in front. Bad things happen back there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If anyone is still following this Mapfre has passed Dong Feng with around 1600 nm to go.
I'm interested. Thank you for your report. :clap:
Wish I had something intelligent to add. Sorry:(, my first Volvo race.
- Will (Dragonfly)