Following the dream

Oct 16, 2017
Pearson 385 Pensacola
Hi, folks-name is Stephen. I retired from the Army in 2009 after 43 years and now it is my turn. All my sailing experience has been on day sailers, especially wood since I found a love of working with precision joinery and construction. I originally pursued Basic Keelboat in the late '90s to go further-then 9/11; you know the rest of that story. After retirement, I attended ASA certification schools, finally setting for Advanced Coastal Cruising this summer. Along the way, I made friends, some of which are Captains and Instructors. Also, along the way, I researched many boats and, thanks to Good Old Boats, I decided to pursue Pearson. Since I'm very novice, friends have told me lengths over 40 are problematic if I intend to sail solo. I wanted a center cockpit and full berth in the after cabin for guests who want to cruise with me. Beyond that, I really haven't settled on a specific model; therefore, your input, wisdom, and experience would be really helpful in my research. Fire away. Thank You, Stephen

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Bavaria 38 Ocean is an aft cabin model w/ center cockpit but these may be hard to find in the US. Put out the word to the importers/brokers in Annapolis and Seattle/Vancouver and they may find you one. Expect near $100,000 for a 1998-2000 model year, etc.

I don't recall Pearson making a CC model under 40 ft. However, the Pearson 39 is a very nice yacht. The Pearson 365 is a "well respected" cruising model. Check Sailboatdata.com for all of the models and their specs.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-87-bavaria-38-ocean.html
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/24_9/boatreview/Bavaria_38_Ocean_4344-1.html

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Bavaria-38-Ocean-3135354/Monnickendam/Netherlands#.WeTj0tQrJpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You said Pearson - right? Here's a directory of the Pearson 424's. Xapiema won the Marion - Bermuda Race once. That gives it ocean creds. We used to race on the same course as it and it was always fun to see everything, including the skipper's skivvies flying.
http://www.pearson424.org/ownernotes/where.html

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
Stephen-Ability to single-hand (or inability) is based not only on boat size, but on weight and size of sailplan. Good example of this is the multiple owners who single or double-hand Mac65s (a very light 65 foot boat) Good news is that new models (Jenneau, Beneteau) are lighter with relatively smaller sailplans and fractional rigs (easier to tack by yourself). I often double hand my Pearson 39-2 with my youngest daughter and can singlehand as long as I use a smaller headsail. Downwind sails with a sock and some planning. Good autopilot is a necessity as well, so plan to spend some good boat dollars (3-5K) if the boat your looking at does not have one. Good luck

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
To me, docking is the big issue for single handing. Some boats are more maneuverable than others and all boats will have a learning curve. An electric windlass for the anchor with a control at the helm is nice to have.
Leading all control lines to the cockpit makes handling sails easy, especially when single handing.

Oct 16, 2017
Pearson 385 Pensacola
Thank you for all the great information and help. Docking was more intimidating than I expected. Mpbeagle, good info to have, thanks again.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@J. Stephen
Docking is about skill building. I solo on a 35 ft boat. Here is a link to a video that demonstrates a “stern-bridle” technique that I’ve found works. Makes it easy for me to dock and solo.

Watch "SFS Getting on - Stern Bridle" on Vimeo:

John

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Watch "SFS Getting on - Stern Bridle" on Vimeo
BTW - the man who narrates that video, Duncan Wells, wrote a book called Stress-Free Sailing. It is one of the most interesting books I have ever seen, simply due it's format. Meant to be read on an internet-connected device, the text of the book is well-written, but links to videos are placed appropriately. If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth? The referenced video is from that book.

As for the content: I think it is as good as the format. The book's purpose is to give single-handers and couples techniques that make the whole sailing experience easier and less stressful.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He accomplished that with the stern bridle docking technique. I’ve been using it for 2 years. Successful docking in a variety of uncomfortable conditions.