West Neck Harbor, Shelter Island

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Is anyone familiar with this harbor? We'd like to visit relatives on Shelter Island in the summer, and they recommended West Neck Harbor. We will be approaching from the East (of course) and would like to anchor. We are 38' overall and draw 5'4".

If there are other harbors in Shelter Island that you recommend, or marinas, please let me know!

Thank you!

jv

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We’ve anchored in West Neck harbor under 15-20 knot clear conditions, near the beach at the southern end. Sand bottom very good (excellent?) holding. No surprises it’s just as you’d expect from the charts. We were the only boat there, there’s just beach and private homes, a small local marina at the north side.
If you like quiet this is outstanding. If you want shoreside action, just pull anchor head a mile or two south to Sag Harbor and there’s a summerstock theatre right by the dinghy dock, and everything else you need. Fantastic “old school Main Street” hardware store, supermarket, restaurants ranging from simple delis to gourmet and chic restaurants and shops frequented by the rich and famous, and wannabes of “The Hamptons”.
On the east side of Shelter I is Coecles Harbor — also quiet and beautiful, with one full service high quality marina. You can anchor on the south side, just inside the entrance to the Harbor. Or go further in to the marina. Watch the channel carefully because if you leave the channel you will go aground there. Also sandy bottom.
Dering Harbor is on the north side of Shelter island, it’s very crowded with moorings from shelter Island yacht club, which is a bit snooty in my humble opinion. It might be tough to find a place to anchor there.At the south end of the harbor is basic marina run out of the island’s only gas station accross the street. You can get a transient mooring from that marina or the club. There’s a nice little town there with a few nice restaurants and shops but you can walk the whole thing in about five minutes. Or you can walk to the nearby ferry as to Greenport which is a much larger town with more restaurants shopping supermarkets.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Also, you can spend a week exploring the area around Gardiners Bay. Gardiners Bay has typical conditions 10 to 25 kn, sheltered water which makes for great day sailing. You can sail back-and-forth, and stop in to any of the harbors around the edges. They’re just a few hours apart from each other. All have a different character and places to anchor or find a guest slip or mooring. If you like anchoring just look at the charts and decide what looks good, otherwise read the cruising guide and you can go to marinas and clubs.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
If you decide to pick up a town or private mooring they are very expensive compared with anchorages to the East. Last time I was in Sag the moorings were $85. However, the Shelter Island and Long Island folks are the nicest, most welcoming folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting while cruising. Shelter Island is the only place I've ever cruised where restaurants will pick you up at the marina in their car, and drive you back after dinner. Wonderful folks. Also Greenport has a very nice marina right in the middle of town. Quaint little town with nice restaurants, including Claudio's, made famous (more so) by the author Nelson DeMille.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
There is no anchoring anymore in Dering Harbor, as far as I know. If you want to be sure contact Shelter Island Police. Word to the wise, make sure all your boat registrations are up to date and correct!!!!
West Neck is beautiful but gets crowded in Summer. I only go to West Neck in the spring or fall when it isn't crowded. I have sometimes dragged my anchor as the bottom is soft sand. There is a very nice full service marina and restaurant just to starboard as you enter.
Cockles Harbor is a wonderful spot. You can anchor and take your dingy to Ram Island where you could get picked up near the Ram Island Inn.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks all, a lot of great information here! Like a personal cruising guide.

Word to the wise, make sure all your boat registrations are up to date and correct!!!!
Are they checking? Who? Mine's a documented vessel, and registration isn't required in Massachusetts for documented vessels.

I have sometimes dragged my anchor as the bottom is soft sand.
This is counter-intuitive. What kind of anchor? I thought soft sand would be ideal for anchoring.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
YES, the police check registrations. I know from experience. In New York a documented vessel also needs a New York registration. Amazing that no one knew that at DMV, when I paid sales tax.
I have dragged in West Neck with both a Delta and a Mantus. Problem is limited scope when it gets crowded.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've anchored there many times. I've dragged there a few times. In part the scope problem exists on summer weekends when it can be crowded. The town has the anchorage defined by buoys and they try to compress the size of the anchorage because not all the townsfolk are welcoming. The town police are known to make boats move if they are outside the buoys. It's the same over at Coecles Harbor. In part boats drag at West Neck because in some areas the holding isn't that great. The mud tears. If you have a dingy you should motor up the West Neck Creek. There is a public landing up there but most land at West Neck Harbor Marine. They don't charge a fee. Most of the anchorage has 7' at low tide but if you go to the Marina your 5'4" draft won't work at low tide unless they've dredged since I ran my 5' draft aground there around 4 years ago.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Oh, and to go in hug the shore to port fairly close. If you go too wide you'll run aground. You should give a N"4" some room. It is shallow near it. The deeper water is nearer shore.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thank you! I'll mark all these suggestions on a chart when I'm planning the trip.

Are the summer weekdays crowded?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would say the east end is very crowded in July and August for sure,when I cruised that area
Sag Harbor was a great place to visit and really love going back in summer but June and Sept
during the week is much better than on weekends.
I did back before 2008 anchor on the east end of the jetty surrounding Sag Harbor marina was real good and would dinghy in and eat dinner walk around get ice cream.
I go back every summer but enjoy Sept during the week for visiting Greenport,Sag Harbor Shelter Island and all the many great parts of the east end.
Nick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
During peak vacation time - like the two weeks after 4th of July you may find some other boats. But outside of that there would be room. Coecles is better. We used to go there after BI to get away from the crowds and get some peace and quiet. Coecles Harbor Marine is a dingy ride away. They rent bikes or your relatives could pick you up. They don't hassle about landing fees either. If you take a mooring, or dock there is a pool, shower, etc. No restaurant. Sunsets are way better in West Neck but mid-week is more quiet at Coecles. Don't forget about Three mile Harbor. I actually prefer it over the other two.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I agree with the comment about registrations. I never put the sticker on the boat (it registered) and I got stopped right as I was leaving Dering harbor. 10 years and never an issue until then.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I agree with the comment about registrations. I never put the sticker on the boat (it registered) and I got stopped right as I was leaving Dering harbor. 10 years and never an issue until then.
Wow. I don't have a sticker, since it's documented, same as my previous boat. Since the hailing port is Westport, MA, perhaps they will leave me alone.
In 17 years I was only boarded by the USCG once. It was 4 years ago. I was anchored overnight in Tarpaulin Cove, as was a USCG cutter. I left in the morning: weighed anchor, motored a bit as I set the main, turned towards the East into Vineyard Sound, and I'm hailed by a small boat from the cutter, telling me to heave to and prepare to be boarded. A bunch of runny-nosed kids with guns and black boots board, check our shit, give us a warning for lack of a sanitation placard, and give us a boarding receipt. I didn't say it, but why couldn't they just board us while we were at anchor? I'm sure it's because it was a training exercise. But a pain in the butt.

Jun 14, 2010
If you decide to pick up a town or private mooring they are very expensive compared with anchorages to the East. Last time I was in Sag the moorings were $85. However, the Shelter Island and Long Island folks are the nicest, most welcoming folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting while cruising. Shelter Island is the only place I've ever cruised where restaurants will pick you up at the marina in their car, and drive you back after dinner. Wonderful folks. Also Greenport has a very nice marina right in the middle of town. Quaint little town with nice restaurants, including Claudio's, made famous (more so) by the author Nelson DeMille.
Last time we were in Sag we anchored just outside the breakwaters east of the gap between the jetties. Good holding, and pretty well sheltered except for wakes but the traffic died down when it got dark. In the prevailing SW winds it’s a good spot, but might be choppy in a strong easterly or north wind.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Watch out for the rocks in Sag Harbor on the charts but a big power boat did not.
All good anchorages above and do miss the area but not the cold ice and snow.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
This was one of those high priced and ripped the whole bottom out and was maybe 2006 or 2007
and I saw them 3 BoatUS bring it into Greenport.
Nick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I took those pics in Brewer's shed June 2015. Seems to be a pattern! The story was the owner of the yacht had a professional captain but didn't want to wait for him one night. He took the yacht out himself and ran into the rocks south of the Coecles Harbor entrance at speed inside buoy N"4" or N"6". Tore all the running gear off the boat.
For those concerned about registration checks in New York, which has never happened to me, I think if you are in compliance with your state rules you are OK.