2000 26X Steering linkage broke

Nov 19, 2017
Macgregor 26X Fort Walton Beach, FL
I have a 2000 Macgregor 26X with an Evinrude 50 HP engine. A nut on the steering linkage has corroded and broken off rendering the steering system useless. The nut is located on the outside of the boat, in front of the engine and connects the steering wheel linkage to the engine and rudder linkage. All the parts still move, but without the nut, the steering wheel will not move the rudder and engine. Sorry for not being more specific but the steering system is not in the owners manual and I can't find anything online. Anyone out there know what this part is, where to get a replacement and how to replace it? I can provide pics if needed. Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A picture is worth a 1000 words. I would say that you are probably looking at steering components mostly used in small power boats. You can Google 'Teleflex" which is one of the largest steering system manufacturers and search to see if they have the component you are looking for. Posting a picture might help better define the part needed.

Newell

Apr 28, 2009
2 Macgregors 26X and 26D Lakes in Utah
Don't know the 2000 X model, but on my 96 there is a stud welded to the SS yoke that the steering arm attaches too. If you broke the stud off then a fix is going to be a bit more involved. Remove yoke and take to machine shop would be my plan.

Nov 19, 2017
Here are the photos of what is left of the piece that broke off (it is some sort of nut with the threads on the inside). It attaches to the steering rigging on the starboard side of the boat where the cable comes out of the hull. At the very least does anyone know the make of the steering system? Teleflex? I cant find any markings. Thanks.

Attachments

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
That nut is/was part of the cable coming from, attached to, the wheel steering. Will have to replace/upgrde the whole assembly if the cable is no longer manufactured. reference online catalog at Blue Water Yachts.

Nov 19, 2017
Just an update. The nut was a steering cable nut that can't be replaced. The entire steering cable has to be replaced. I had a Detmar 8' system which isn't in production anymore. I replaced the cable and the rack and pinion steering system with a Teleflex SeaStar. Thanks for all of the help.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26X Ghost Lake, Cochrane AB
Just an update. The nut was a steering cable nut that can't be replaced. The entire steering cable has to be replaced. I had a Detmar 8' system which isn't in production anymore. I replaced the cable and the rack and pinion steering system with a Teleflex SeaStar. Thanks for all of the help.
I have a 2001 26x with the same Detmar system, cable now frozen so need to replace. What length of Telefles SeaStar did you go with and any other comments/suggestions to minimize the difficulty replacing the old with the new system?

Nov 19, 2017
8' SeaStar system, same length as the old one. I actually hired someone to replace the part once the project became this complex. I know he had an issue installing the rack and pinion system and had to make some minor adjustments. Beyond that, I really can't recall what he did for installation. Sorry.