Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip. It is a nice tool. They hook you with the slick jig, then got you with the continuing sale of screws. Like HP and their give away of printers so they can sell you a continuing supply of ink. The HP engineers call it their retirement plan.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Chip. It is a nice tool. They hook you with the slick jig, then got you with the continuing sale of screws. Like HP and their give away of printers so they can sell you a continuing supply of ink. The HP engineers call it their retirement plan.
Learned it from Eastman Kodak back in the day!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A Kreg knock off. Do not know. I bought the Kreg. Works great with consistent hole placement and depth.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Oops, yes, that is what I meant. I could blame spellchecker, but that would be lying. There are other knockoff brands that I have used. The problems with them are two fold. The drill bits do not fit perfectly in the holes, which means the shavings get wedged between the sleeve and the bit. This tends to chew up the sleeve. The bit gets scored at which point you throw it away and buy the good one.

There are other brands of screws, but I tend to like the ones made by Kreg jig better. I tend to use their screws even when I'm not using their jig.

A couple of things not mentioned in the video. Make sure that the two boards are tight before screwing them together, otherwise they mating area will not be flush, because the screw will pull on an angle. There is a cheaper version that does not have the whole clamp setup. It is more portable, so it can be clamped anywhere directly to the work piece. When you drill multiple holes, make sure to blow the saw dust out from under your work piece, so the board rests flat on the surface. Otherwise your hole will be the wrong depth. We replaced their clamp with an air cylinder and a foot valve, which makes it much faster when you have multiple holes to drill along the side of one board.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I agree that pocket screws with the Kreg jig make a very strong joint and we have made a lot of furniture with it. The drawback is that if you are joining two pieces of plywood, the end/edge grain plies will show on one side of the joint. You can avoid this by using the bullnose corner piece without the rabbits to attach the ply to the corner. If using pocket screws, I highly recommend the Kreg right angle clamp and face clamps. if you do not clamp the two boards together for the first screw they have a tendency to shift which causes misalignment.
https://www.kregtool.com/store/c46/corner-clamps/p389/right-angle-clamp/#video

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Mark,
Your prototype cabinet corner looks great. I plan to build a cabinet & drawer within the open space under my chart table as it is wasted space; I really could benefit an additional cabinet & drawer. I was fortunate to find some finished Beneteau stock on Ebay that I will use to fabricate the front & side of the cabinet. Like you, I want to use a large radius corner piece to avoid the sharp corner & to blend into an adjacent cabinet. Don't have a shaper; however, I do have a table saw mounted router/table with removable throat plates to accommodate larger diameter router bits. Will give it a try.
I have built several cabinet face frames using the Kreg jig and pocket screws. Excellent joinery. I got turned on to it several years ago when I saw Norm Abramson use it on the New Yankee Woodshop series. I always glued a screwed my joints; however, you can actually assemble the joints with pocket screws and not glue, in the event that you want to disassemble in the future.
As usual, you are on the right track! Carry on.

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
One of those days turned into one of those weeks:

Hi guys! Well, this last week was weird. A relatively small delay kinda morphed into a week of malaise. My close-by local welder/fab guy has been down for the count for a few months, so any metal work has to go to the "other" place. Going on three weeks ago I took the bow pulpit to them for straightening. Talked to the owner, we looked at it, came up with a repair strategy, all seemed good. They said it would be about a week. Ok, my guy would have it done in a day, while I wait, but ok. A week goes by, no word. Few days later I get a call from one of the people there asking what I wanted done to the pulpit. Hmmmm. The owner wasn't around and his notes evidently weren't good enough. So descriptions go back and forth until I think they have a clue what needs to be done. A few days later a call saying it's ready. My exact words when I showed up to get it were: "It looks like you didn't do anything to it." Seriously, they partially straightened the upper cross bar and called it good. Didn't seem to matter to the guy who did it that the rest of the pulpit was still noticeably bent and twisted. I showed him and all he could say was he straightened the cross bar. Seriously?

About then the owner walked over, I showed him the pulpit/spaghetti factory and asked him if it was acceptable. To his credit, he seemed pretty humbled that his tech thought the piss-poor job was acceptable. So, back to the drawing board, more ideas and a plan to get it done right. Strangely, the new plan was exactly what the old plan was, two weeks later.

So I get a call last Tuesday from them, can I come in to look at the progress. Sure. Now it looks much better. Still a little crooked but I have a plan to fix the rest myself. I approved the repair, they say they just need to finish up a few welds and clean it up. That was Tuesday. Since then, not a word. I got wrapped up in other things and kept forgetting to check up on it and Friday morning I decided I couldn't delay things any longer. I have been waiting for the pulpit so I can reinstall it to measure for the lifelines, but I took the trip up to Charleston anyway to get the cable and some wood samples for trim pieces:

Figured I would call and swing by the machine shop in the afternoon. Guess what? They evidently close at noon on Friday. Strange that their message says they are open til 4 on Fridays. So I have all the parts and pieces except the most important one and it's still in limbo until at least Monday. Crap.

Stay tuned for part 2 to see why the week went total bust!

Cheers,

Mark

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Hunter built plenty of boats with opening ports in the hull, people really don't know what they're talking about!

May 8, 2013
Bad day becomes a bad week, part 2:

The big mess with the bow pulpit stems from my desire to have functional lifelines installed while I work on deck. Silly, huh? After all, it's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end that hurts! I just hate getting jerked around. :soapbox:

So, the item that topped the week. In the pic in the previous post you'll notice that under the lifeline cable there are a couple of boards. I finally found a lumber yard that stocks larger (2x10 and 2x12) planks of red oak. I got a few samples to play with so I figured I could fill the weekend making sawdust. Halfway through ripping the first plank (all the wood from this place is unfinished) the table saw starts making weird noises and the blade speed changes randomly. Hmmmm. Further inspection revealed the blade (motor) is not spinning smoothly. I first checked the brushes - both good - so I took off the motor housing and found this:

There are three bearings total, the front two in the gearbox are good but the rear motor shaft bearing is toast. I think I caught it in time before the bearing ate into something important. That's good news, but the bad news is this happened Saturday and no place close has the bearing. And my friend down the street is on vacation so I don't have access to his table saw. No woodwork until Tuesday evening. :doh:

I do have tons of things to do on the boat but sometimes you just gotta say, take a break. Until Tuesday gents!

Cheers,

Mark

May 8, 2013
Hunter built plenty of boats with opening ports in the hull, people really don't know what they're talking about!
Welcome aboard, Scott! I think only one guy was bent out of shape about the portlights and I think we got it straightened out. I love them and have already used them - not quite warm enough to use the a/c while working in the aft cabin but opening the ports for a cross breeze felt great!

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Thanks Mark! I've been watching your progress since the beginning very impressive especially for a pilot! :) I flew for DHL and went down with the ship... :) I have a 410 and it has 4 opening ports in the hull, in the aft cabin which is pretty low...

May 8, 2013
To all the Kreg jig fans:

Interesting, but I'm not sure it will work for what I'm trying to do. It does look like it would work for assembling drawers though. When I get to that point. Thanks for the ideas!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Bad day becomes a bad week, part 2:

The big mess with the bow pulpit stems from my desire to have functional lifelines installed while I work on deck. Silly, huh? After all, it's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end that hurts! I just hate getting jerked around. :soapbox:

Cheers,

Mark
The corollaries:

Three most useless things:

1) Altitude above you.
2) Runway behind you.
3) Fuel in a fuel truck.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Glad you found it before it turned into a bigger problem. I have a 30 yr old grisly and it just goes and goes. Having a vacuume on it helps I’m sure

Les

May 8, 2013
Back in business - sort of:

The replacement bearing showed up today! It's a good thing I ordered two, cuz only one of them was the right one. I guess clicking "2" in the quantity field means two different bearings, not two of the same one. Sigh. Sailing over the horizon and flipping the world the bird is sounding better and better every day.

The table saw is now back in action so time to put it to use. I ripped the red oak stock and made a 1 1/2" square to fabricate the corner piece. A little more work and here's Version 2:

Seems like the simplest way to make the corners and have maximum clamping surface all around. This test sample uses 3/4" ply and 3/4" red oak for the backing plate. I'm still working on the best angle for the screws - the angle here doesn't clamp the side and corner in tension. This method also allows for different ply thicknesses and corner radii. Gonna start some cabinet pieces tomorrow so testing is not too far off.

I finally got tired of not hearing from the machine shop so I called them. A week after approving the repair and it needing only final welding, the sum total of work they accomplished on the bow pulpit is - zero! They didn't do squat all week. I am going there tomorrow and rip some A. Stay tuned for the outcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Back in business - sort of:
...the angle here doesn't clamp the side and corner in tension.....
...They didn't do squat all week. I am going there tomorrow and rip some A......;;.
pocket screws into the actual corner piece will draw it tight. While the corner bracing can be screwed perpendicular to the ply to hold the 90....?