Fire Extinguisher Recall

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This, from a friend. I'm just the messenger, please. Ron

Turns out the information Kidde initially provided for the recall is flawed. Surprise!
They sent me an e-mail saying "... we noticed that there was some information that was incomplete." The e-mail contained a Recall Identification Guide. Turns out I only have one of the recalled units.

Only the fire extinguishers with a VERTICAL pin are being recalled.

The extinguishers with a HORIZONTAL pin are not being recalled.

------ George , Annapolis, MD

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This, from a friend. I'm just the messenger, please. Ron

Turns out the information Kidde initially provided for the recall is flawed. Surprise!
They sent me an e-mail saying "... we noticed that there was some information that was incomplete." The e-mail contained a Recall Identification Guide. Turns out I only have one of the recalled units.

Only the fire extinguishers with a VERTICAL pin are being recalled.

The extinguishers with a HORIZONTAL pin are not being recalled.

------ George , Annapolis, MD
I've gone to their web page and loaded in the numbers for every FE I own. Some were affected, some not, according to their web page. Didn't notice "horizontal/vertical ".

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Same here,got an email this week. This info was definitely not on website before. Only 2 out if my 4 are involved. The ( I hope) first replacement arrived in the mail today with a label and instructions to return the old one in the delivery box.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The overall quality of Kidde extinguishers has really gone down hill, even on the ones that don't get recalled. The plastic handles are just plain flimsy. It would not take a long stretch of the imagination to expect some breakage if a panicked person grabbed one quickly in an emergency. Going forward, I'm looking for better options.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I entered mine yesterday. The web data entry form was confusing. For example, it didn't display the date code entry dialogue unless I entered a particular year in the "approximate year of purchase" box.
I had read the recall document and watched the video and made a spreadsheet with all the data, plus some.
After I submitted, it said only one of mine was affected, despite the fact that according to my application of their criteria, three of my five should have been affected. So, I called them up. A very nice woman helped me, and the result was three were affected and will be replaced, but a different three! One that should certainly have been replaced according to all indications was declared not affected because of the serial number. She explained a way of decoding the serial numbers that differed from the online doc.
Very confusing, frustrating, and time consuming process.
I have one metal handle one, a Pro 210, that needs a recharge. A firefighter friend said their department doesn't do it. Will look around. The cheapest I've seen this one, new, is $35 each, or $69 for a two-pack (at Home Depot).
As I've said previously, I am looking at better units, and also Halotron, for easier clean up and less damage to electronics.
Buckeye makes what appear to be good units, metal valve, tagged and refillable, for about the same price as Kidde. Their equivalent 5 lb. unit is an ABC unit that's about $35, $33 ea. for 3. Their Halotron 5 lb. unit is about $125.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They are sending me one new one. I really didn't check these when I bought the boat. The one they are replacing has a tag on it that it was professionally refilled in 1983--oops that was due to be replaced anyway a long time ago. so I get a new one for one I would have replaced anyway. now to wait for a sale and get 2-3 more new ones.
Les

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Les, which one do you have, and which do you plan on buying? I think the best deal out there is the Kidde Pro-210, a two pack for $69 at Home Depot. I have not seen a deal that beats this, for a metal handle, metal valve, rechargeable, dry chemical, B-C, 5 lb. unit.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Web site said all of mine are OK.. all plastic handles.. I have no doubt that they are all OK since they've never been in the sun or in freezing temperatures and have been treated gently (and reverently) .. They get turned and bumped every 4-6 months.. pressures are all great..

May 20, 2016
Amazon has a 4 pack of First Alert 10BC's for 80 + 15 shipping - haven't looked at reviews yet...

Les

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Amazon has a 4 pack of First Alert 10BC's for 80 + 15 shipping - haven't looked at reviews yet...

Les
Yes, I see that on Amazon, same price, but no reviews yet. They look like the 2.5 lb. size, which I think means 2.5 lb. of ingredient.

May 20, 2016
Yes, I see that on Amazon, same price, but no reviews yet. They look like the 2.5 lb. size, which I think means 2.5 lb. of ingredient.
There were good reviews on other sites that were 4/5. I suspect you are right on the size. Must be a minimum of two pounds dry chemical to qualify as B1. The 10 in the middle numbers is the square feet it will cover. So two minimum on our sized boat. I passed CG inspection with 2 10BC’s so six will do jus fine. 2 aft cabin, one Nav station, 1 engine/galley, 1 lazerette, 1 v-birth, last one don’t know.

Les

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Today, I received four fire extinguishers from KIDDE that are replacements for the extinguishers that were part of the recent recall. Still waiting on three more replacements that were sent under a different ID number. Kidde included Fed Ex shipping labels and instructions for repacking the defective units in the boxes in which the replacement extinguishers were shipped. I know that some of you mentioned in previous posts that in prior recalls, return of the defective units was not required. Perhaps this recall is so extensive that they want the old ones returned. Guess that they want to minimize the product liability and legal consequences by getting as many defective units out of service. I am pleased that they are replacing seven of my extinguishers; not much effort on my part to repack the defective units and calling Fed Ex for pickup. You should be receiving your extinguishers soon.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Today, I received four fire extinguishers from KIDDE that are replacements for the extinguishers that were part of the recent recall. Still waiting on three more replacements that were sent under a different ID number. Kidde included Fed Ex shipping labels and instructions for repacking the defective units in the boxes in which the replacement extinguishers were shipped. I know that some of you mentioned in previous posts that in prior recalls, return of the defective units was not required. Perhaps this recall is so extensive that they want the old ones returned. Guess that they want to minimize the product liability and legal consequences by getting as many defective units out of service. I am pleased that they are replacing seven of my extinguishers; not much effort on my part to repack the defective units and calling Fed Ex for pickup. You should be receiving your extinguishers soon.
Got mine about two weeks ago and they are bigger than the ones recalled.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Got mine about two weeks ago and they are bigger than the ones recalled.
Richard, the red cylinders that I received are slightly larger in diameter. The old mounting bracket straps are approximately 1/4" too short to latch around the cylinder. The new mount does not have straps. I am still waiting to receive the white marine version; would hope that there are straps to secure to cylinder in the mount for use on the boat.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
My white replacement came with a mounting strap, the red ones only had a metal neck holder and does not comply with ABYC rules. Previous post about horizontal pins is incorrect, they are being replaced, or at least my four were.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I applied for three recalls...received six in the mail!! They all fit perfectly into the old brackets. Sent back three recalled ones. Easy process.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm getting mine i dribs and drabs. Received two so far, on different days. Not all of my old ones were subject to the recall, and now I don't know which ones to send back!

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
Same problem as Jviss, received two replacements from a previous submission to Kidde, but no reference as to which of my many units to return. I had a problem entering some of the required data on the Kidde site, so I placed a call to their recall number. The Kidde representative was extremely helpful and found three more of my units that needed to be replaced. Of the five plastic handle models involved in the recall, all were the same model (FA110G/H110G). Of the five units I had submitted for consideration, three were found to be on the recall list and replacements are forthcoming. The only strange part of the process was that I had two units that I had bought in a two unit package- same model number and consecutive serial numbers. Agent advised that one was subject to the recall, the other not. Go figure. That said, Kidde service was outstanding and new units are on the way. I made sure to keep information on which units they were replacing so that I can return the appropriate old models.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I had a problem entering some of the required data on the Kidde site, so I placed a call to their recall number.
Me, too. I should have taken notes (I thought I had, but now can't find any).