Viking wintering port

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Selør is just a couple miles west of Norway’s southern tip, Lindesnes. Due to its strategic location and the fact it doesn’t ice up in winter it became one of the major ports for the Viking fleet.

BEDD3D4B-B0A7-4179-B4C1-305BE27EFB7C.jpeg

Many kings have lived at or visited Selør starting in the year 1016. Locals told us that diving is not permitted on the assumption there must be a lot of Viking remnants on the bottom (they said anchoring was OK). This was one of our first stops in Norway after the sail over from Holland last May.

FD630FA1-3ABA-4E76-99B4-34DB74DECA16.jpeg

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Hi Richard, I often have a hard time finding Scandinavian place names even on a chart. Part of it has to do with the spelling. Sometimes Selör is spelled Sælor. I suspect some of the search engines like Google have a hard time with some of the alternate spellings with unusuæl chåräcters.

We were in Sweden for a month last summer, but I only learned last week that a Swedish name ending in ö means it’s an Island, as in Styrsö.

Selör is just NW of Lindesnes, which is the southern tip of Norway on the chart below.
E7272E3E-E458-4BB7-9D98-C45D8341A6DE.jpeg

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
... and I just noticed the spelling is Sæløer on the wall above the King’s sign board, and Seløy on the chart.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
... and I just noticed the spelling is Sæløer on the wall above the King’s sign board, and Seløy on the chart.
I saw that too and varied the spelling. Still couldn't find it. Thanks for the pin. Enjoy your stay.

Are you wintering there? Looks like a beautiful area but at the latitude of around Juneau Alaska I imagine it gets a bit cold!

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The photo of Selør is mesmerizing, Max. I've looked at it several times, can't take my eyes off it.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
“Are you wintering there?”

We are wintering in Hoorn, Holland, a half-hour train ride north of Amsterdam. It’s a pretty, historic town. The expedition that discovered Cape Horn sailed from this harbor which was also a major VOC (Dutch East Indies) port. This was the view from our marina this past Saturday, the arrival of Sinterklaas. And yes it gets cool and damp at times so we do a lot of land travel in winter (as well as spend time back in Maine).

25EF3886-3406-45E8-B597-3167F6E55607.jpeg