Drifter vs Code 0 vs ?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I strongly disagree. Code 0 and/or reacher on furler are absolutely lovely all-around sail for any modern/new-ish fractional rig. They are a bliss in light winds, when they pick up the lightest of puffs, while allowing to maintain impressive apparent wind angle of up to 40-45deg, as well as very good performance downwind. Plus, unlike some other flying sails, one person can operate this sail.
This is very true for boats with non-overlapping rigs. The bigger your headsail gets, the less likely you'll use the sail, or even need it for that matter. On BlueJ whenever we crack off 20 degrees I'm looking for a flying sail.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Why is it true only for fractional and non-overlapping rigs? (Other than just the “bigger is harder” issue.)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Why is it true only for fractional and non-overlapping rigs? (Other than just the “bigger is harder” issue.)
Because a non-overlapping rigged boat can only fly a 105% headsail. And while this is fine upwind, as your turn down and the apparent windspeed drops, you need more sail area to keep your speed up, in particular in 4-10 knots. So you look for a kite or a 0 to make up for the smaller area. On a boat that can fly a 135-150% genoa this is not an issue.

Its part of the reason that almost all of the new Benis and Jennis with these rigs now offer a Code O hardpoint at the bow, and offer the sail as factory equipment.

Oh, and its not 'true only' for non-overlappers. Any boat can gain benefit from a CZ. just some more then others.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Jackdaw, you nailed it! That's exactly why I'm watching this thread like a hawk! While our Beneteau 34 has us spending our nights in spacious luxury, what I miss most about our First 285 is its light wind performance.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have a headsails rigged old school boat with a 120 Genoa. It is 8 oz cloth. My Code 0 is 2 oz cloth and will keep shape in light air when my Genoa won't.
My rigger added a plate at the top of the mast to extend the zero halyard out and I have an anchor pulpit to mount the tack out ahead of the headstay. Works great for cruising. The zero is ready to go anytime I want it.
With my Genoa and headsail, I can get around 50% of the wind, mich less downwind. With the zero I can get up to around 75% of wind, even downwind.
And I use my whisker pole with the zero as well. I use the zero more than the Genoa, as I like light air calm seas sailing a lot.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Does anyone fly a code 0 with an ATN sleeve instead of a furler? I have been told no, but in reading this thread it seems like it is done.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I agree with Bosman; we have a Doyle UPS in a sock that we fly a lot - With a small jib as the normal headsail the UPS helps a lot in winds under about 12 knots. I agree that 35 degrees is stretching it, but we do manage about 45 degrees true in light air. We use a sock and it's easy to sock it, tack, and reset.
BTW, a lot of the pictures show conventional sailcloth, but ours is a mylar/pentex laminate that is very strong but weighs nothing so it flies well in very light air

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have an Asym and Code Zero for my tri. I fly them out of socks off the bowsprit. I tack them. I love the light air performance of both. I only fly them when the wind is good for sailing up or down the lake. I could not imagine tacking them every 5 minutes!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Also, you may want to try a used sail. I got both of mine used off 28 ft boats. They were 1/2 the price of new and in perfect condition! The Code Zero had never been rigged!