Hunter 340 Shower Sump!!! Need to see some pics!!

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
If you have installed a shower sump on your 340, please send me pictures. I am about to install one and I think my placement will work fine, but I wanted to see others. Also where did you run the discharge? Did you drill a hole in the hull and install a new port? OR just tee it in with another?

Jul 18, 2015
Bamabaxter, my recent install is described here:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/h340-grey-water-management.186525/#post-1387947
In that post also there is a much earlier description and some options for you to consider.
This is exactly the information I was looking for. I guess I should have used "grey water" in the search box. I was trying different variations of shower sump, etc.
So looks like you have had it for a few months now. What are your pros/cons of the system?

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Only con is that it can be noisy as the air cond condensate drips, drips, drips into the manifold and the line from the shower drain has been emptied. Once the humidity is down in the cabin, I'll turn the new pump off, particularly overnight, or keep the head door closed. Also I had some water follow the hoses from under the shower seat into the netherworld behind the toilet down into the main bilge, so I cut a piece of plastic bottle to fit and deflect the shower water around the hoses into the shower drain. Since then, perfectly dry bilge (upper and lower), so that's the pro!

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The Whale IC is THE BEST grey water shower sump system available. It is truly install & forget.
The issue with the standard sump boxes is that they use crappy little motors, which quit spinning if anything gets wrapped around the shaft
Like HAIR
So, you have a shower sump pump, which quits working at least once a season from hair & other garbage wrapping on the little impeller. And cleaning out these boxes is a disgusting job.
You can literally run rags through a whale gulper pump.
Make sure you winterize it properly. Just run a bunch of antifreeze through it.
The great thing about this system is that you can "T" in other grey water sources.
I have 3 airco units and 2 showers running through it.
I agree that the pump makes a bit of noise, but it's not really all that objectionable. As your airco compressor is already running, you can't really hear it. It's a great solution for keeping your bilge bone dry.

Jul 18, 2015
IMAG1247.jpg
IMAG1240.jpg
IMAG1245.jpg
IMAG1244.jpg
IMAG1249.jpg
Install Complete!!! The Whale System is awesome! Pretty much used Ed's install as a template. Highly recommend the kit! Had to punch a few new holes inder the deck for routing hoses, etc.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Glad my pics helped you with your install. I see your pump is sitting on a piece of wood, did you secure that to the hull?
I've learned a lot from this site as well over the years and happy to help others...

Jul 18, 2015
Yes, used 5200 to secure wood. Along with the rubber feet on the pump unit, it is really quiet. Bilge already smells better.....maybe it is just placebo.