Found close color match gelcoat

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
This may be old news to many on this forum but...
In the process of rebuilding the poptop on my 1974 O'Day 23 I discovered a gelcoat that is a pretty close match to the slightly off-white color my boat has faded to (or started out as 43 years ago?). Works well for spot gelcoat repairs because it is a much closer color match than standard white.

Colored Gelcoat

The color is called Oyster White. Includes wax mixed in already. Might it be a decent match for other older O'Days?

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thank you very much...I will use this information next spring....is there a minimum amount they will let you purchase? Pat

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
You can buy just a quart. Price is around $35 + shipping ( ground ). I use it on my Pacific Dolphin. Get the small tubes of tint, I use brown, yellow and white to get an exact match. Clean an area around the area to be repaired, mix a very small quantity of uncatalized gelcoat, adjusting the tint (1 drop at a time!) until you get the exact match. Then you can add the catalyst. Keep track of how much tint and which color you used to replicate in a larger batch if necessary.

Oct 20, 2014
Yes, I've bought two quarts so far. The challenge, of course, is mixing up small enough batches to do small spot repairs before the gelcoat kicks and hardens in the mix container. I'm going to try to mix a 4 oz. batch next time.

For the pop top the stock Oyster White is an almost perfect match. For the hull I might use just a bit of white tint next time. Not much though as it is pretty close for my boat.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2016
If it's setting up that fast, then you're using too much catalyst. Drop down to 1 1/2% or so. Search online for a good chart that lists drops of catalyst per oz of gelcoat and use the minimum unless you're in a very cold area. How big of an area are you trying to cover? Remember....match the color first. ( ok to put a dab on the surface, it'll wipe off)..then add catalyst. I use the small Preval disposable sprayers. Thin with Styrene. Home Depot carries them now. 2 oz of gel coat goes a long way.

Oct 20, 2014
If it's setting up that fast, then you're using too much catalyst. Drop down to 1 1/2% or so. Search online for a good chart that lists drops of catalyst per oz of gelcoat and use the minimum unless you're in a very cold area. How big of an area are you trying to cover? Remember....match the color first. ( ok to put a dab on the surface, it'll wipe off)..then add catalyst. I use the small Preval disposable sprayers. Thin with Styrene. Home Depot carries them now. 2 oz of gel coat goes a long way.
Hi Mike,

I was mixing according the table on their site (setting the catalyst % for the temp.) That gave me, I believe, about 15 mins. working time. How much time do you get with your mix?

The last time I put down gelcoat it was about 75 degrees and I was running about a 1% catalyst. Maybe I lost track of time and it was more than 15 minutes or maybe I measured wrong that time. But isn't about 15 mins. pretty normal? Maybe not...

Of course the gelcoat is also sensitive to density in the container. It did better when I had it in a rolling pan than in a little cup.

As for color tinting, yes I would of course mix that before adding the cat.

Cheers,

Aug 16, 2016
15 minutes is about right IF you're working with a small amount. If you're trying to cover a lot of area, then you're going to have difficulty getting it all covered before the catalyst starts to kick. It's a race against time. lol Time, temp, % catalyst, humidity and volume are all factors in this equation. You're right about the difference between a cup and a pan. The pan allows the heat generated by the exothermic process to dissipate, delaying the set up time, while the cup tends to magnify the effect. The same goes for larger and smaller volumes, a larger volume will tend to generate more heat accelerating the process. Long story short...don't mix up more than you can use/apply quickly. Above all else...have fun, it's boat stuff!

Oct 20, 2014
OK, thanks. That's about in line with what I have seen. I think I really should start mixing 4 oz. batches.

Oct 20, 2014
Alas...I ordered a second quart of Oyster White from Jamestown (exact same stock number, etc.) and it's not even close to Awlgrip Oyster White (which their first can matched quite well). This new can is much closer to a cream/tan. I'll call them Monday to find out what happened. Maybe the can was mislabeled or someone got the recipe a little wrong. I'm hoping that this order was an anomoly and that normally their colors are consistent from batch to batch.

Oct 20, 2014
I also got some fancier measuring devices and can now mix 4 oz. batches. Doesn't help much if it is the wrong color though. Added all the white tint I had on hand and it still wasn't close enough.

Oct 20, 2014
Jamestown sent a replacement quart that was the correct color. They said they checked others which also looked fine so I must have been the lucky person to get that one dud can. This time I was touching up the hull and, mixed with a bit of white tint (https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...78&familyName=Epoxy+/+Gelcoat+Coloring+Agents) I was able to get a near exact match.

So, for what it is worth, this is now my go-to combination for partial gelcoat painting and touch up. Oyster White plus (for some parts of the boat) a bit of pure white tint. Hopefully that works well for other O'Days as well.

Oct 20, 2014
I've been doing a bit of gelcoat work recently and thought that I would update my old thread. I'm getting a pretty close color match to my boat (1974 23-1) mixing a quart of oyster white gelcoat Colored Gelcoat with a full 2 oz. bottle of white coloring agent Gelcoat Coloring Agents.

Now if UPS could just deliver the gelcoat without knocking the can open I would be all set.