Wheal size and bow light question

Sep 23, 2017
Macgregor s Launched
Hi Group
Well we made it home (SW Indiana) from where we purchased our new toy... our 1990 Mac 26S (Mystic Rose)

Lots of goodies inside... still trying to sort through and figure out what all was on the boat....

was pleased with
1. Gen pole for mast raising (now I just have to figure out how to rig and use)
2. in addition to Main, Jib and Jinny, there is also a assemetrical Spinniker (? How to rig and use?)
3, hand bailing pump (plan on installing two good electric bilge pumps)
4. All new trailer lights and barring buddies!
5. Nice fishing rod with small pinn leavel wind
6. Deep cycle battery all pri wired with shore power and Bat charger (plan on adding a second Bat)
7. 2 large bags assorted lines, pullies, rigging, rope Etc.... all laid out but I have no idea what any of it is what yet

Boat looks sound with no issues except for busted Saturn light. And well worn but serviceable,cushions (cock pit cushins look new)
Over all... pleased!

First two questions

1- Having looked at some mods... I have already purchased an Anchor roller via eBay, (In transit now). but in looking at the bow... not sure how to position it.

(terminology?) head stay (Shroud?) connector is currently mounted in the center... Does it need to be in dead center, or could the shroud connector be re-mounted 3-4 inches on one side or other of the Anchor roller?

Also... wile I found a small flashlight with a clamp mounted and the two color lights (I am guessing to clamp on bow pulpit rails). I noticed that it does not appear that there has ever been a purmanant bow light mounted on the boat... do I need one? Or will the two color light on top of the Mast cover the need... leagle and otherwise? if I do need to mount a purmanant bow light (with the Anchor roller and bow connector for the head stay... where should it be mounted.... on the rail of the bow pulpit?

2- while the 14 inch tires on the trailer look new.... there is no spare
I can see that it’s a 14 inch 5 lug mag wheal... I was wondering... can someone tell me if it’s a common wheal like a 5 lug Chevy, Ford? Or what? Need to buy a spare but? What type wheal to buy? (be kinda neat to find a matching mag type wheal!)

And where on the trailer should I weld a mount to carry the spare? (Seems like mounting somewhere on the front would add a little weight helping to keep weight up front aiding in towing?)

3). The boat currently has a old (Original?) two burner alcohol stove, is it good? Or should we replace ... if so... with what?

note we are retired, and wanting to fix the boat up for short pleasure crusing, and as a floating motel for our fishing trips to use in conjunction with our bass boat.

Have more questions . but will stop with these 3 for now....

Thanks for your help and patience with this newbie...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Congrats on getting the boat home !!

...1. Gen pole for mast raising (now I just have to figure out how to rig and use)...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

....1- Having looked at some mods... I have already purchased an Anchor roller via eBay, (In transit now). but in looking at the bow... not sure how to position it...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-16.html

....I can see that it’s a 14 inch 5 lug mag wheal... I was wondering... can someone tell me if it’s a common wheal like a 5 lug Chevy, Ford?...
Probably Ford 5 on 4 1/2 but measure to make sure...

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx

...And where on the trailer should I weld a mount to carry the spare? (Seems like mounting somewhere on the front would add a little weight helping to keep weight up front aiding in towing?)...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/trailer-mods-2.html

Sumner
================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The forestay (fractional rig) or headstay (masthead rig) has to be centered or it throws off geometry of rig and headsails.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I’ll take a try at some of your questions:

1. I’d leave the forestay shroud where it is. Run the anchor out to one side or the other. Be sure to use good backing plate(s) for the bolts on your new roller.
A tricolor light at the masthead is acceptable for some smaller boats. Not sure if yours qualifies. Given your planned use, you will definitely want a 360 degree white anchor light on your masthead. (Could be over the tricolor running lights, I suppose, but need to be on a separate circuit.)

3. Our 2 burner alcohol stove is 40 years old, and works fine. I’d give it a try, and then decide whether you want a newer non-pressurized alchohol stove, or the more complicated propane stove, with an tank in a compartment that drains overboard, and the necessary safety switches/sensors.

Good luck with you new boat! Remember it’s a pretty good sailer, too!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Regarding the bow anchor roller.. an additional idea.. I mounted mine off to the side leaving the forestay attachment stock and centered. I believe my bow roller had three bolt spots/holes and I used these with solid backing plates but it still seemed like too much of the roller sticking out past where it was bolted to the deck so I added an additional load distribution. Im not sure if this was necessary but its all been solid for at least five years now.

Also look at this site all the way to the bottom for another idea http://www.holderness.info/boats-a-projects/macgregor-mods.html#anchors

Probably lots of ways to do this.. just throwing out some ideas..

FYI, nothing at all wrong with your alcohol stove. I used alcohol for years then switched over to a butane stove. What I didnt like about alcohol (really nit picking here) was that if you dont use the stove very often, at least on my setup (Origo), the alcohol would tend to evaporate and if you run out of fuel while cooking, you really have to stop and wait for things to cool before refiling or those can be dangerous. The butane stove lights up with a click of a dial and just throw in another container when one runs out.

bow_roller1.jpg
bow_roller2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you never sail at night, the flashlight is probably sufficient as a backup if you get caught out at night unintensionally. However, if you sail at night, buy a good LED bow light and hang it from the bow rail. You want to hang it, so it does not get damaged easily. (I broke mine driving under some low tree branches). You want LED for several reasons. Typically they are more water resistant. They use a lot less battery. and are much less prone to loose connection, as everything is soldered into place. Light bulbs tend to heat up, which causes the sockets to loose connection, which in turn causes even more heat, which then melts everything. LEDs are easier to see, as they are more intense. I usually keep an LED flashlight handy to shine on the sail when near other boats. Not only does it make you more visible, but then everyone knows you are a sailboat and may have limited maneuverability. I've also assumed if a power boat headed right at me, a couple of flashes in his general direction should get his attention.