EMERGENCY (spare) RUDDER

Mao

Oct 18, 2017
Catalina 30mkII Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase a spare rudder?
Better yet, any diagrams or specs on building one?
I think every long distance sailor should have an emergency rudder.
I have a Cat30 mkII 1987.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Y'all sailing a C-30 long distance?

Windvane is the common answer.
Or fab a pintle hung rudder.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
It depends how far you are planning to go. As an emergency solution, you might consider findings in this report. But for a serious solution, you may want to look for something like the SOS Rudder from Scanmar, Oceanstear emergency rudder or something similar.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
This is Michael Keyworth's definitive method...This is the solution if you're concerned with the real issue of LOSING your rudder.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
This is Michael Keyworth's definitive method...This is the solution if you're concerned with the real issue of LOSING your rudder.
Very cool

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Keyworth's drogue is the same concept that I proposed, but I'll bet that my 3-gallon folding bucket was cheaper than his fancy drogue (by far), and it's already on my boat. I've found that the most useful safety equipment is the stuff on the boat, not stored safely in the garage ... or in the Defender warehouse!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mao... Welcome to the forum. Interesting choice of avatar name.
I think every long distance sailor should have an emergency rudder.
Perhaps it depends on what you consider long distance and maybe where you are thinking of adventuring. In a pinch a resourceful sailor will modify his boat to get safely to shore. Even if you think you know what you are doing conditions can become overwhelming. It is times like these that a SSB radio becomes a lifeline or an emergency rudder... http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...-drama-offer-10k-get-yacht-dove-ii-back-46494

Rudder options include:
  1. Windvane - Monitor makes a good one and there is an emergency rudder available
  2. Wood from the boat interior remade into a rudder and attached to something long (like a spinnaker pole) stretching off the stern. Like a Chinese Junk might use...
  3. The above mentioned manufactured drogues streamed off the stern
  4. A modified sail and ropes streamed from the stern
Better yet, any diagrams or specs on building one?
Perhaps you might narrow down the conditions that you envision so that a reasonable response to help you can be fashioned.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
With a full keel and a keel hung rudder this is the least of my worries. If I lose the rudder I'll use the sails to steer. This is where a Ketch rig becomes really handy.

But even with a sloop you should learn to steer using the sails. Lock the rudder down some day in light air and see how playing with the sails will change your direction. You can actually sail the boat anywhere you want to go just by changing the sail trim.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
With a 30 foot boat, you have no room to store the extra rudder. Drogue steering is the answer, then call for a tow when you're close to shore.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mao... Want to learn about surviving a rudderless experience...

Read the following book by: Smeeton, Miles. "Once Is Enough" . HarperCollins Publishers. Kindle Edition.

You will learn about what it takes to deal with a condition like loosing your rudder...

Mao

Oct 18, 2017
wow!
my first time joining a forum to ask anything.
You guys are all awesome!!
Thank you very much.

Mao

Oct 18, 2017
I think drogue steering will be my choice, all things considered.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
With a full keel and a keel hung rudder this is the least of my worries. If I lose the rudder I'll use the sails to steer. This is where a Ketch rig becomes really handy.

But even with a sloop you should learn to steer using the sails. Lock the rudder down some day in light air and see how playing with the sails will change your direction. You can actually sail the boat anywhere you want to go just by changing the sail trim.
Next time y'all are in SoCal, I cordially invite you out on my Catalina 30. Fin keel, spade rudder, fat boat. Very very very hard to steer with the sails. I don't think I could go 1/4 mile before spinning around, and that's in typical so cal weather. With some chop or swell, it'd be impossible. I'd love to watch somebody else try. I'll buy beers.

I don't think I'd sail my c-30 any further than the towboat goes. Tiny tankage, no storage, etc.. It's just not a bluewater boat.