Simple Green is not simple. It is EVIL!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Most of us do not read the fine print on product labels and get much of our product recommendations from dock mates and these forums.
About 15 years ago I used Simple Green based on how good it cleaned the boat across the dock from mine. By the end of that summer all of my opening and fixed port lenses were completely crazed with tiny cracks. After more research I found out that Simple Green is toxic to acrylic.
I have replaced all of the opening port lenses but the fixed lenses cost about $600 plus installation so I guess I will not be able to look out the windows for a while longer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow, Reading the MSD sheet for simple green it is one of the more benign chemical concoctions of a "Cleaner & Degreaser" for water tolerant surfaces that I have observed. Who knew it would be toxic to Acrylic windows?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Watch out on aluminum too. Many an aluminum wheel has been hurt by using this and not immediately rinsing.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have several types of Simple Green type cleaners for just this problem.

Purple Power, Formula 409, Clorox, Windex ad nauseam.

1) Windex... not allowed on boat only a glass cleaner.
2) Purple Power ... engine and stoves
3) Formula 409... mold in caulking. Also will remove Teak Oil (use sparingly)
4) Clorox... only in the head and medical for Stings of Jelly fish etc.
5) Simple Green... Home kitchen/bath floor not on boat.
6) Lysol... Head/Sink and stagnant or dry bilge flushes. Anti-Bacterial
7) Wet and Forget... anti mildew/mold , I use a cheaper version for twice a year interior wipe down.
8) Ammonia... Never on plastics so not on boat.
9) Mild Muriatic Acid... Very very very dilute for Iron Stains and follow quickly with Baking Soda.
10) Naval Jelly... best iron stain remover. Phosphoric Acid in paintable gel.
11) Soda Ash [Sodium Carbonate swimming pool pH up]... mild degreaser, low abrasion scrubbing dry [not Baking Soda]
12) 20 Mule Team Borax... Anti Mildew Mold use with Mr. Clean to swab the decks.
13) Mr Clean floor cleaner... Cheaper than any West Marine deck wash.

The above list is not all on the boat, but used when needed.
Jim...

PS: Simple Green web site avoids most plastics and says test small spot.:rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Simple Green: Disburse diesel spill at fuel dock. Not legal but completely reliable.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
has been hurt by using this and not immediately rinsing.
Well this was the step that I neglected, not on aluminium but on acrylic hatches (3), port light (1) and dodger and transition Strataglass windows. I am not sure where I went wrong given the big bold caption under cleaning tips: How to Clean - Acrylic - Windows. However, I did not spot test nor did I immediately rinse.
http://simplegreen.com/cleaning-tips/surfaces/acrylic/windows/
On a very hot day last summer, I hoisted a friend up the mast to clean the radar scanner, spreaders and mast armed with a spray bottle of diluted Simple Green. The Simple Green/water mix that dripped off during the cleaning process was left for about an hour (to bake) on the various plastics. It was not until the following day that I saw the results on the acrylic (bad crazing) and Strataglass (spots). I first tried HySeas Boat Soap, then Imar Strataglass cleaners (spray and cream) and finally Novus 3 stage cleaner with no joy. I ended up replacing the 3 - four year old Bomar hatches this spring and will live with the remaining mess.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Watch out on aluminum too. Many an aluminum wheel has been hurt by using this and not immediately rinsing.
I sprayed Simple Green on the underside of the aluminum pan roof over my porch/carport before pressure washing. It was VERY damaging to the white finish. Bleach was MUCH better, who'd a thunk it.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Maybe off topic but I bought simple green because I'd heard so much of it.
I think I got cleaner not degreaser. Squirt bottle.
Cleans nothing. Not even basic dirt or bird droppings. Useless.
Regular citrus boat soap from WM a huge amount better. It actually cleans. Wanted squirt bottle soap for touch ups, so tossed money at SG. Fail.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Ri
You just replaced the acrylic, right???
Right. Surprisingly there was no harm done to the aluminum hatch frames. The lenses gasket came inlaid, from Bomar, and the holes were pre-drilled for the hardware to be installed. It took approx 15 minutes to remove the old, swap out the hardware and install the new into the original frame.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Thank You for the heads up. I have a bottle on board and it will be exiting next time I am aboard. Fortunately I never used it on windows.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I'm currently in the middle of replacing acrylic cabin windows (along with engine..) I had an enlightening talk with the plastics guy in Seattle. The only things that make contact with acrylic are water, approved cleaner ie Novus, and soap. No solvents including diluted alcohol. He also said a lot of people power sand mating surfaces for better sealant adhesion..A lot of people also power sand the entire surface for the translucent look. However, the heat generated changes the molecular structure in a negative way. Hand sand with 80 grit. The guy in Seattle is Clear Cut Plastics and supplies a lot of boat windows etc to the fishing fleet and I think he has trusted and proven suppliers..I have no affiliation with this company except I'm glad to have had him recommended..

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I gotta agree with Skipper. I've found SG to be a useless product. I also can't stand the smell. Makes me gag. But that's probably just me. For some applications 409 is good, although I always liked Fantastik. Just not sold at all retailers these days.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I use simple green only on my closed cell foam cockpit cushions.... does a wonderful job. But on nothing else.... use a mild soap on boat and windows.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
WOW! I've used SG on all surfaces in the home and car for years and never had an issue. I guess boats are a different animal. So West Marine "Boat Soap" or what would be a better and less expensive product from another manufacturer. About to power wash the hull this afternoon and remove Oxidation & Wax tomorrow. Was going to use SG on the Hull......is that also not a good idea?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
After more research I found out that Simple Green is toxic to acrylic.
John, by now you have already moved forward and may or may not have used SG on our boat. Tell us how it worked.
This post is from 2017. And as seen above the original poster found SG damaged the acrylic windows/ports on his boat.

Power washing sounds simple. You may want to take care in how you spray the dirt form the boat. The pressurized water of a power washer can blow out some bedding material from under deck hardware on older boats. Suddenly you have a clean boat that leaks...

A soft scrub brush, soap and water is generally all you need to do a decent job on most boats. Pressure washing with a lot of care does speed up the job. Just be ready if you see a little water showing up that you address it. The leak will not resolve itself on it's own.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Simple green is a great degreaser. I use it on bicycle chains. Can't imagine why anyone would use it on the outside of a boat. The only cleaning product I use outside, once the season has started and I've done all the usual preseason prep and waxing, is Amazing Rolloff (it really is amazing).