Are there any safe harbors along the South coast of Long Island?

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
My nephew is sailing from Block Island to Sandy Hook and asked if I knew of any bail out spots if the need arose. I'm not aware of any places that I'd be comfortable going into in a yacht but I haven't really thought about it for years. Does anyone know?

Thanks. We have enjoyed the south coast of Norway, Oslo, West Sweden and are now in Denmark. A wide variety of landscapes. Will soon head for the Kiel Canal and will be wintering again in Hoorn, a little north of Amsterdam. Still follow the board here but don't have much time to post for the time being.

Max

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What kind of boat, what draft? I have thought of this, years ago, and yes, it's tough; but maybe Shinnecock inlet, Moriches inlet, Fire Island inlet, Jones inlet. Most are shoal draft inlets, pretty thin. East Rockaway inlet looks pretty good. But if you want a more conservative route, why not just go up the East River and into the Long Island Sound? Many, many cool places to stop and have some fun along the way.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It has been 50 years since I boated on the South Shore of Long Island, but I doubt that some of the conditions have changed much.

The island is protected from the south by a series of barrier beaches with several inlets as jviss notes. Depending on tides and winds the inlets can be pretty nasty. Lots of shoaling, moving channels, etc. The south shore is all sand and it moves. Once inside the barrier beaches the water is pretty thin. There are channels and there are bridges to deal with. With that said there are sailboats that sail out of the south shore, so it is possible.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
On reflection, I recommend waiting for a clear weather window, and making it from Sandy Hook to Block in 24 hours or so, assuming you make 5 or 6 knots. The bail-out plan if the weather gets bad is to head off shore.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Jviss first answer was the right answer. If any concerns about weather take LIS.

BI to Sandy Hook is within distance of a fairly reliable 24-hour forecast,

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Thanks for the feedback. Best to plan not to stop, or go up LI Sound.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
There are safe harbors at Shinnecock, Fire Island Inlet, Jones Inlet and Rockaway Inlet. DO NOT try Moriches, there is no water. You can also stop at Montauk, a really neat spot with lots of room to anchor.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
There are safe harbors at Shinnecock, Fire Island Inlet, Jones Inlet and Rockaway Inlet. DO NOT try Moriches, there is no water. You can also stop at Montauk, a really neat spot with lots of room to anchor.
I found the anchoring kind of restrictive in Montaauk, 'though that was about 12 years ago. You had to anchor along the edge of the channel, I think on the West side of Star Island. But, it can be done! Note the entrance is on the North side of the South fork.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Jones can be dangerously shallow, and is not charted as to depth at the entrance, because it is continually changing.

At 40°34.906'N 73°34.832'W (Chart US5NY53M)
Depth Area
Min: 0ft, Max: 6ft
Sea/Named Water Area
"Jones Inlet"
Sea/Named Water Area (bay)
"Hempstead Bay"
Caution Area
Info: Jones Inlet - The buoys and soundings in this inlet are not charted because of continual change.
Restricted Area
"Long Island Sound Marine Inspection And Captain Of The Port Zone"
Restrictions: entry restricted, speed restricted
Info: Regulated Navigation Area And Limited Access Area, Speed Restricted, 33 CFR 165.153​

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Shinnecock, Fire Island, Jones, East Rockaway (although East Rockaway is close enough to Sandy Hook). Don't do Shinnecock with wind opposing tide ... it gets dangerously steep.

Follow markers in Fire Island and Jones closely. If wind opposing tide in either it's a bit challenging.

If 24 hr weather window isn't great ... stay in Block Island. Look for storms in the tropics ... waves travel straight to us here.

Done this trip numerous times ... prefer outside to LIS due to the open water, fewer traps, and less traffic.

ronbo

Jan 2, 2009
gozzard 44B mkll md
A lot of outdated information here.
Most of the South Shore inlets can be dangerous and require local information. Maybe Rockaway is the best but it’s the farthest west.
Go Long Island Sound and go with the tides which can run 2-3 knots. There are few traps as there are fewer lobster these days. Enjoy.