Squeaky Auto Pilot - is this normal?

Elie

Dec 15, 2015
Hunter 29.5 Marina Del Rey
my auto pilot works great, but is very loud.. is this normal? can i spray some wd40?

here is a youtube video of my boat - you can see/hear what I'm talking about...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Looks like a belt drive autopilot. They make belt lube for that. WD40 isn't a lube but rather a water displacement, hence 'W D' which can 'eat' the belt.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Yea, that's irritating as heck. Belt dressing spray from the auto parts store should fix it if its the belt. Could it be the seal in the motor? Then a spray lube (not WD) should help if you can work it in between the seal and shaft.
WD40 evaporates, leaving nothing behind so it will work for a little while. Then the squeak comes back.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
That sounds more like the wheel bearing. Metallic.
Does it make that noise with the AP disengaged?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
remove AP wash clean then spray mclube all over inside except the belt teeth surface. That'll shut the squeaky noise.

Roddie

Nov 15, 2010
Hunter 306 Blaine
I have the same AP and the same noise, readjustments of the AP did not fix it... ??

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ya might have to pop the cover of the wheel drive unit and put a tiny drop of superlube on the idler wheel axles.. The shop manual for the wheel drive is in the "Downloads" section of this site. IT shows how to pop the cover off.
(Make sure the wheel brake is completely released)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Same AP on our boat. Same problem. Sometimes it's quiet and sometimes not. Irony: this ap replaced a 15 year old Autohelm A4000S and the "looks almost the same" drive motor never made any such noise. (sigh...)
"Irritating as Heck" pretty well covers it! And ours has done it since almost new. Dealer cannot find the problem.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I would think that if its not the belt it would have to be the shaft seal. McLube or other type should quiet it down off you can get some between the shaft and seal.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I watched a Youtube video where the guy just poured a little fresh water on the belt and the squeaking stopped. Not saying it's the answer or the correct fix but it did quiet the squeaking :) I sure wouldn't use WD40 though.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
I assume it’s a ‘Smart Pilot x-5’. Mine does periodically the same thing when it is working hard in confused seas. I just flush lightly with some fresh water, whilst it is active, via the free slot in the back of the drive cover. This stops it for quite a while. Raymarine recommends flushing after each use.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Sounds like mine when the brake friction nut is tightened. Does it do it when the auto is off?

Elie

Dec 15, 2015
Hunter 29.5 Marina Del Rey
Mine only squeaks when the lock handle (not sure exactly what that is called) is engaged. In fact, I hear the squeak as I turn the handle to engage the autopilot. The handle i'm talking about is ma
raymarine.jpg
rked with a red arrow on the attached pic.

MARAH

Sep 24, 2017
Tartan 34c Suamico, WI
Repaired. The X-5 on our 34 was doing the same thing, squeeking when engaged. The issue is the idler pullies on either side of the belt drive wheel (inside the drive ring). The idler pullies (one being the locking lever idler) are are composed of a nylon spindle wrapped with a flexible product that rotates around the nylon spindle (driven by the drive belt). The squeak occures when the lubricant between between the flexible product and the nylon spindle drys. Put a small (very small) amount of non destructive lubricant between the flexible product and the nylon spindle. Silence.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Klondi,

Thanks for posting the ST4000 shop manual. That is the AP I have on my boat.

Lately, the driver lever on mine "backs off" when the AP is engaged. I will be taking the drive unit off the wheel over the winter to see what is going on inside the wheel ring.

The lever disengages at the most inopportune times

I wrapped a small bungee around it that helps hold it down and can easily be "popped off" when necessary. Should get me through the remainder of the season.

Greg

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Repaired. The X-5 on our 34 was doing the same thing, squeeking when engaged. The issue is the idler pullies on either side of the belt drive wheel (inside the drive ring). The idler pullies (one being the locking lever idler) are are composed of a nylon spindle wrapped with a flexible product that rotates around the nylon spindle (driven by the drive belt). The squeak occures when the lubricant between between the flexible product and the nylon spindle drys. Put a small (very small) amount of non destructive lubricant between the flexible product and the nylon spindle. Silence.
Marah's solution should be in a FAQ. This very easy fix works until you really need to replace or repair something.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes @PAC3142 the idea works. It improves the function of the eccentric gear used in the wheel pilot. Be careful not to lube more than the under side of the wrap. Too much lube and the belt will get contaminated. Then the system will stop working.
The squeak is caused because dirt has contacted the nylon eccentric. You can accomplish a similar result by cleaning the nylon with soap and flush with water. Dry and reassemble.