Yanmar 3GM30 in 1981 Hunter 30

Apr 14, 2009
Hunter 30 sd Port Canaveral, FL
Does anyone know if a Yanmar 3GM30 will fit in a 1981 Hunter 30 as a replacement for the 2GM?

Any problems I would need to know about?

I have a chance to buy a low hour 3GM30 and am considering it.

Thanks,
Will

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I have a 2GM20F in my '79 H30C.
It seems to be lighter than the original YSM12 that came with the boat originally. So, I don't think weight would be a problem if your hull and stringers are as stoutly built as mine.
There is room, I think, if you can adjust the motor mount locations on the stringers. But you may have to shorten the prop shaft.
So, lots of measuring to do with a qualified engine intaller before you
pull the trigger.
If you'd like I can give you the mech'e number who did my install. And since he's located in Daytona, but goes far and wide for customers, he might be willing to come to you.
If you don't have a suitable yard there, Daytona Boat Works is a reputable yard here.

Send me a PM if you have questions.
G.

Apr 14, 2009
Hunter 30 sd Port Canaveral, FL
Thanks for the reply, I have 3 diesel mechanics who are friends at my Yacht Club. I was hoping someone else on this forum had done the same swap out.

It looks like the 3GM IS 4" longer and around 25 pounds heavier with different mount spacing. I think I might be able to move the 3gm forward and not cut the shaft. My 2GM is raw water cooled so there will be a bit of extra weight with that too and I would need to look at running the exhaust.

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
Not much help but FWIW, my 79 H30 has a 3gmd that fits wonderfully. It was in the boat when I bought it, so I have no idea what it took to install.