Retired

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
Congratulations, Les! I feel your joy as I handed in my badge this past January and have never looked back. Departed the home slip May 15 and have been wandering Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, and the Broughtons ever since. Currently at anchor at crowded Newcastle (Nanaimo) trying to decide whether to run back North until the crowds thin or enjoy the heat a little longer mid-Island. Sincerely hope your choices in retirement are as pleasant and fulfilling!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Another Oregon Boy makes good in the waters of BC... Steve stay up there a bit longer... Portland promising 100 plus weather for the next week.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Currently at anchor at crowded Newcastle (Nanaimo)
Hi Steve, that would be Mark Bay, eh? Have you attended the Dinghy Dock Pub race yet? Always a hoot. Be sure to take in the Nanaimo museum while there. Well worth the visit. Also well worth the walk around Newcastle Island. Lots of history on display.

Last edited:
May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
Right outside Mark Bay, Terry, since they have stuffed it full of balls a few years back. Biscuit, the ship's dog, is making the most of the Island trails for sure. And John, no plans to return until late Sept:). Supposed to be in the 100s inland from here as well...getting 15kt of breeze through the anchorage as I write this which feels darned nice! Best to all.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Had my big party here Saturday over 75 people showed up. 55lbs pulled pork ~ 5 cases beer, case champagne, 2 cases wine, lots of bottled water and pop guests brought lots of tasty side dishes. People stayed till about 10. I managed to stay sober and talked to almost everyone. Tons of fun

Thanks for all the well wishes here. Now I just need to not wake up at 4am

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Had my big party here Saturday over 75 people showed up. 55lbs pulled pork ~ 5 cases beer, case champagne, 2 cases wine, lots of bottled water and pop guests brought lots of tasty side dishes.
Bwahahaha. :wahwah: Wifey must have tossed my invitation. Would loved to have joined your celebration.

Just kidding. Glad you made the jump, but must have a plan to keep active. A few comments about my retirement in 1997 after 31 years:
1. My plan was to spend more time in my cabinet shop. Did not happen.
2. Tried not working. Did not like it. Volunteer work helped for awhile.
3. Accepted a two month Sprint project that lasted three years until 9/11 when all the contractors were let go.
4. Tried not working again. Did not like it. Did some traveling, but so so.
5. Decided to drive school bus for awhile. Turns out I'm pretty good at it. Kids are great, employer and employees very supportive. Good benefits and pay. Best thing about it is lots of time off with over two months during the summer sailing season. You can drive as little or as much as you want. Gives me purpose, which I like. That was in 2005. I suppose I'll keep driving until they take the keys away. Besides it helps support my passion, which of course is sailing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Les
Have you seen the downside yet? ( no paid stats or vacation ) Been retired for going in 12 years now and never worked as hard as I'm playing now. ( and in better shape for it ). Been thinking of getting a job just to have somewhere to go and rest! In the meantime just planning next years cruise.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Congratulations. I retired 3 months ago with the intentions of jumping on the boat and sailing away. Then I started looking at the house and boat condition. Been working on both since. The only break was when I sailed to Gig Harbor for 3 days to talk to a marina about maintenance. At least both are looking a lot better and I should be able to get some cruising in by October.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Gene can’t agree more boat and house maintenance have kept me busy. Hope the house is in shape for sale the spring. House hunting by Gig Harbor today