Wind Limits with an Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
My wife and I are about to set out on a 100 mile journey with predicted winds to be S to SSW up to 16 kts, we are heading North. My quandary is, To what wind speed can I fly our asymmetrical spinnaker safely?
I know there is fabric weight and size to consider, neither of which I am quite certain, I am just looking for a rule of thumb.
The rig is very easily managed on my own with a bow spit and top down furler, so I know I can easily douse the sail if I had to from the cockpit.
I have flown this spinnaker on a few occasions with wind winds being very light, the results are quite impressive when you can see 3.5 kts with a 4 kt wind.
As always your help is always appreciated
Mark

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You should be fine in 16 knots true for running. Reaching, maybe 10 knots true.

Remember that the measure will be your APPARENT WIND, and while running that will about a very manageable 10 knots. The sail (probably .75oz) would be good for twice that.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thanks Jackdaw, I appreciate the input this will be very helpful in providing a bump in speed as we head North for a week of sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
DD Jackdaw has given you spot on help. As always.

Less scientific, I have always practiced sail change before the conditions get a little sporty for me and the crew. Racing is one thing. Balls to the walls and bring the boat in. Cruising, "why would ya?" Based on the conditions if I am doing nearly hull speed:dancing: and the breeze is or looks to be stiffening it is time to adjust the sails, before it gets to I NEED TO ADJUST THE SAILS!:yikes:
Condition of the sails/rigging and the crew aboard all factor into the decision.

It is so fun to be flying a big colorful sail that it is often disappointing to strike her.
Have fun and send pictures.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Echoing @jssailem 's advice, practice dousing.
@justsomeguy, dousing the sail with a Selden GX Top Down furler is very easy, played around with the system last Sunday, deploying and dousing with the genoa up and or down really is a great system, I have the control line run back into the cockpit allowing me to deploy and douse from the safety of the cockpit.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The top down solution allows a very calm approach to putting the sail away in a hurry if need be. You can fly the kite in conditions that would give you pause any other time, and the 10kts recommendation is a very good number to use as a guide.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I want one.
But first I have to go buy two new tires for the truck. :cuss:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, that too. After I get back from stress leave. It's only September 19 and it's freakin snowing.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yeah, that too. After I get back from stress leave. It's only September 19 and it's freakin snowing.
My oh my. Mid September and canes are blowin down south and it's snowin up north. What's the world coming to?

Feb 20, 2011
The top down solution allows a very calm approach to putting the sail away in a hurry if need be. You can fly the kite in conditions that would give you pause any other time, and the 10kts recommendation is a very good number to use as a guide.
You and @DayDreamer41 could write sales copy for Selden.
Snow, ay-yi-yi. I'm heading to MI in Octobrrr.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@justsomeguy, if you ever get to use one you will see what we are talking about. You can fly this thing with (1) line on the clew, when you tack all one has to do is, furl, move line to the other side of the boat and unfurl, this way you minimize the weight of the line on the clew of the sail, and it only takes a minute to furl and unfurl a 900 sqft sail.

Aug 1, 2011
Selden only supplied the ring for the bow. The rest was handily crafted at home, for a noticeable fraction of what the purchase price would have been. The kite is in the range of 25% bigger than would ever be hoisted, and would never have been in the scope if a sock was involved. This is not to suggest that you can go out and get a way bigger kite, it is, however, qualification that you can fly a kite or a code0 short staffed with a huge degree of comfort.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You and @DayDreamer41 could write sales copy for Selden.
Snow, ay-yi-yi. I'm heading to MI in Octobrrr.
Well bring your woolies, may still have the boat in the water, if the weather keeps up like it has been may not pull it out until the last week of October, but one must dress warmly when sailing that late in the year.

Feb 20, 2011
Well bring your woolies, may still have the boat in the water, if the weather keeps up like it has been may not pull it out until the last week of October, but one must dress warmly when sailing that late in the year.
Thanks! Wish it were possible, but this is gonna be a whirlwind of a visit. Weddings and funerals kinda require I travel there. Thankfully, this occasion is of the happier variety.