1984 Mac 25 construction

Sep 19, 2017
MacGregor 25 Arrowhead
I am finishing my first cruising season with my beloved Mac 25, 'Holly'. We have quite a bit of water on board, and are a bit concerned. The guys at my marina have told me that the hull is shot, and the stringers are rotten. Does anyone know if this model even has wooden stringers? I found out that the newer ones definitely do not.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'll take them today on the way to the fiberglass guy, thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Shots of the hull exterior, the keel cable pass-through (inside and out), and any other areas you feel might need attention, please.

Sep 19, 2017
MacGregor 25 Arrowhead
I have found a fiberglass guy locally, knows Macs, specializes in sailboats. I will try to get some pics today. I feel I am in decent hands though. He said pretty much exactly what you did, justsomeguy. Check the through-hull where the cable that supports the swing keel travels.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Check the through-hull where the cable that supports the swing keel travels.
Yah. Should look something like this.

20170924_081824.jpg

The double-clamped hose should be as high as possible without interfering with the winch function.
The steel wear tube and flange and the through bolts are set into 3M 4200 goop, inside and out.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
There are no stringers. The Inner liner does touch the outer hull at the v berth, starboard seats, bulkhead and where the inner liner ends under the lazarett. My boat had some one layer glass cloth that had split in the these locations. I laid in a couple layers of glass cloth and West Marine epoxy to replace the original and increase the strength of the original at each of these locations. I noticed it when I took all the bow flotation out to clean and bleach it. Mice.
Definitely check the cable tube as listed above and the cockpit drain. The pivot bolt as well. Everything else has to come from the top. Deck, windows hull/liner seam etc. I spent five years going through one thing at a time till I found it dry. Rub rail seam too. Hard sailing can pump water in there and into the boat. Lastly rudder pintels.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I cut a slice in a chunk of sponge and stuffed it in the cable tube. Run the cable in the slice. That stops any splashing wipes the cable as it comes up. Works great.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
I pushed a M25 hard for years. Would get water in at the keel bolt and thru hole for keel lock. I recall replacing the rubber washers at the keel bolt........Kinda hard to screw up a m25 hull other than impact.