Climbing the Mast

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When younger and no back problems did use the ATN system successfully but now have 2 crew help with a bosun's chair
and one cranks me up while the other tends the safety halyard and than they switch it up and needless to say when 58' up there
is not too bad but not exactly the most comfortable for most.
I have done this a few times and helped others also and pick less windy days for sure but we get it done for sure and have plenty cold beer when all done.
Nick

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Riggers I know use the 4:1 rig attached to a halyard to go up solo.

When I go up, I get hoisted by a halyard via my bosuns chair. For safety/backup, I use an ascender on a tensioned spare halyard. I can easily operate the ascender while one helper cranks me up on the primary.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A few years ago, I think on this forum, someone posted a terrifying description of what can go wrong when you use electric winches to pull someone up the mast (in short, a few fingers and, I think, an arm was lost in the process).

@kpuniform: as an ex climber I am always surprised how many sailors cannot imagine using the climbing gear on sailboats (if it is not made purposely for sailing, it can't be any good, or if it wasn't used on traditional sailing vessels, it is not good).

I use three ascenders, a harness and a couple eiders and this allows me to climb the mast unassisted and safely. I use 2 halyards: one as the main climbing rope, the other as the belaying/backup line. Btw. I am over 60 and I don't find it any more challenging than climbing 3 flights of steep stairs. It is the technique, not brawn that counts.

Btw. a good climbing harness can be almost as comfortable as a bossun's chair. Also it all depends on how long you want to spend aloft. For long work a wooden plank (seat) would be useful; for a quick fix, it would limit your movements.

But, as usual, it is your boat, your choice. One should use, what one is comfortable using.

just my $0.02

Marek

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A few years ago, I think on this forum, someone posted a terrifying description of what can go wrong when you use electric winches to pull someone up the mast (in short, a few fingers and, I think, an arm was lost in the process).
If a person doesn't think they can safely take someone aloft (or pull up their anchor, as some have stated on other threads) using a powered winch or windlass, then I suppose it's best if they do not try to do so. But for those who have mastered the use of power tools, it should be no less safe than doing the job by hand. Perhaps its actually safer, because the person on the electric winch isn't tired. It isn't about what tool one uses to do a job, but how capable one is of using that tool.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i'm an old rock climber (not a bold rock climber. ) On the boat, I carry a dedicated 60m mast climbing line, a set of j u m a r ascenders , a set of foot e t r i e r s , and a custom made bosun chair harness with a sturdy wooden seat (w/ a crotch strap,) and tool pockets. i also wear a climbing helmet. PS- i watched a guy nearly fall out of a rock climbing harness when he flipped upside down on a 100 foot wall. it was not pretty.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I remember reading about that incident. IIRC, The electric winch control failed in the on position. Husband stuck at top of mast, wife with hand stuck in winch, one or two coming to their aid also suffered lost fingers/maimed hands.
Tried searching for it with no luck.
Learning to climb my mast is very very low on my priority list. Glad our yard has a man lift.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I remember reading about that incident. IIRC, The electric winch control failed in the on position. Husband stuck at top of mast, wife with hand stuck in winch, one or two coming to their aid also suffered lost fingers/maimed hands.
Tried searching for it with no luck.
Learning to climb my mast is very very low on my priority list. Glad our yard has a man lift.
This was obviously a case of total incompetence and someone who panicked. Any powered winch or drum with a line wrapped around it can be potentially dangerous. Obviously, in this case, the person had too many wraps around the drum and couldn't just ease the tension, allowing the drum to turn but not moving the line. We all do this every time we ease a sheet that's on a winch, right? Then she should have gotten the person aloft to hang on for a few seconds while she transferred the line from the misbehaving winch to a cleat.
I've run that scenario (winch activation switch failing) through my mind many, many times and discussed it at length with my wife, as we use our 65 electric sheet winches almost daily. It hasn't happened yet, but I have no doubt that it will, one day. So, we are prepared.
However, I have heard of many many more people falling while aloft, than I have of folks being injured by a powered winch, so really, this is a pretty low priority risk situation, IMO.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
capta, I appreciate the additional insight.
I'm still on my first keel boat and in my first marina, which does have a man lift. I've only seen one person in our marina go up their mast in my five years there.
So I've got to ask, is it that common to do so or is it only common in sailing areas where there is no other choice or means to get to the top of the mast?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
capta, I appreciate the additional insight.
I'm still on my first keel boat and in my first marina, which does have a man lift. I've only seen one person in our marina go up their mast in my five years there.
So I've got to ask, is it that common to do so or is it only common in sailing areas where there is no other choice or means to get to the top of the mast?
Like almost everything relating to 'yacht' maintenance and repair the saying "if you want it done right, you'd best do it yourself" holds true. If you find a reliable, competent and honest repair/maintenance person/company you have found a gem; hold on to them.
That said, I have found most riggers to be competent, but we still prefer to do what we can ourselves. We're the ones out there on the water who have to deal with what the incompetents leave us, and no amount of warranty can help out there.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I've been thinking of training the local osprey, they seem to be up there all the time. Maybe get them to straighten out the windex next time.

All U Get

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Consumer drones can be great for taking pictures.

And more recently, as reported on our local news, for spraying paint over graffiti.

But may be awhile yet before they can apply +/- 50 pounds of torque on a sheave bolt/nut without spiraling out of control .... and then crashing with a big thud on our decks!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The future is already here. Not only is the little Mavic capable of 4k video, it has a collision avoidance system worthy of a car ad on telly.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Consumer drones can be great for taking pictures.

And more recently, as reported on our local news, for spraying paint over graffiti.

But may be awhile yet before they can apply +/- 50 pounds of torque on a sheave bolt/nut without spiraling out of control .... and then crashing with a big thud on our decks!
They could clamp themselves to the mast before exerting the torque.