Hunter 25.5 1984 Stem Fitting Removal/Repair

Mar 23, 2013
Hunter 25.5 Tiera Verde, FL
Hello all, we had some damage to our 1984 25.5 during hurricane Irma. We lost the mast after the lower turnbuckle stem failed at the toggle while bashing into another boat at the marina! Yes we had a Negative 10 foot storm surge that snapped many dock lines and caused boats to hang in the marina on the fixed docks!

Looking for information on how to remove the stem fitting. I can't see any access to anything from the V-Birth for any kind of nuts or plates etc for the stem fitting.
Has anyone ever removed the stem fitting?
Also any ideas on where to get a replacement made up?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think the forward V berth wall which probably have screws holding it in place can be removed. Take a picture of the forward section of the boat inside. I just want to be sure of this.

Mar 23, 2013
Looks like no access.

The stem fitting is bolted above the anchor locker drop down (head liner in the V birth)
Could be drilled and tapped into a plate in the bow?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Time we talk sir. Send me a private email to me via forum and let me give you a call to get to a solution quicker. So I need a phone number and I do not give it out nor do I keep it when a solution is figured out. I use to be a dealer but it has been a long time since being on a 25.5 so I need to refresh my thoughts here.
Dave Condon

Nov 10, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Alum Creek State Park
Sorry to see the damage to your boat. Can you please post the solution when you get this solved?
Thanks

Mar 23, 2013
As it turned out the bow stem is held in place via a glassed in aluminum plate. The screws holes are drilled and tapped. No backing or nuts on the inside that is reachable. This has been confirmed on 2 other 25.5 boats. Just 4200 or 5200 then to seal everything up.

Hope this helps anyone looking for info on how to remove the stem.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use 4200, not 5200.

For what is worth, if you do not see any thru bolt with washer/nut or any inspection ports inside below, generally aluminum plates are encapsulated in the deck which are drilled and tapped