Started a winter home for my C22

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
I took the plunge today and started plans for building a storage garage n my backyard. Rented a sod cutter and getting ready for cement prep and pouring. The goal is to insulate and work on the boat in the winter vs the past two summers it has been at a indoor storage place that is not accessible. I will share the building progress as I go

Planning 24 wide and 25 deep with 10 ft walls and 16x8 door. This is the largest my township allows

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looks like a pretty good slope on your property. Just curious as to how you plan to compensate to have a level garage floor.
Are you going to cut down the high and fill the low side or you planning to pour concrete footings and have wooden floor joists? Very flat around my area; usually can compensate for any slight elevation difference with fill. Also, what type of heat source are you going to use if any? Bet that you are really going to enjoy the large enclosed space; especially during the winter. Those sod cutters really give you a work out, dont they! Wish that I had enough property to build a large garage/workshop.!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016
Looks like a pretty good slope on your property. Just curious as to how you plan to compensate to have a level garage floor.
Are you going to cut down the high and fill the low side or you planning to pour concrete footings and have wooden floor joists? Very flat around my area; usually can compensate for any slight elevation difference with fill. Also, what type of heat source are you going to use if any? Bet that you are really going to enjoy the large enclosed space; especially during the winter. Those sod cutters really give you a work out, dont they! Wish that I had enough property to build a large garage/workshop.!
Yes the sod cutter was a beast but a must have. Each turn at the end of a cut path was a bit of a cuss-fest Plan to have sand brought in to level and provide some good drainage. My rolled up sod is just about gone due to a "free sod" sign I posted in the neighborhood yeah!
Thanks!

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Nice work. See, you're an example of a smart man - my dumb brain never would have considered renting a sod cutter.

I'd still be hacking away with a pick-ax as I write this-

Going to be a great shop - lots of good times to be had there in the future.

Aug 18, 2016
Last roll of sod was picked up this evening. Glad to see it be of use to people and I didn't have to haul it away. So I put up a level line tonight to outline where the floating slab will be. Need to get sand spread and 12"x12" footing dug out. I may even lose a few pounds in the process lol

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Meg...you consider pole v. conventional framing? Did one in WNY 60x120 pole barn recently (size doesn't matter), heated, 6"poured floor, set the posts 48"+ deep (frost line), used "flowable fill" rather than concrete, saved lotsa bucks, you may want to look into that type of construction as you're not too far along...fwiw... (can pm you some pics if interested)

yea, definitely frame to support a ceiling lift system of some sort...nice work getting the sod out!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looking good! Please keep us updated as you progress. Are you going in the direction of a prefabricated metal building with beams?

Aug 18, 2016
Looking good! Please keep us updated as you progress. Are you going in the direction of a prefabricated metal building with beams?
That would be ideal, but the township has some pretty specific requirements in that the one allowed accessory building needs to "be architecturally consistent" with the house so I will be framing, siding, with matching roof angle/eave/soffit dims....oh well

Biggest challenge is getting the concrete subs to call back as they must be full on with builders before the snow comes...I'm working all sources

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
This is my winter home , Yacht harbor marina in sunny Florida
Tour of boat (5).JPG

Aug 18, 2016
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ah, the fun part!! It must be so cool to see the building take shape all of a sudden, especially after you've had to wait all winter.

Wish I was there to help. I hung trusses and sheeted roofs for a living in my younger days, it'd be a blast!

Aug 18, 2016
Thank you Gene. I’m thinking of it as good exercise as well for me lol
So winter came just after I got the cement poured....thought I would share some progress I have been making on the winter home for my Cat22. Just taking my time and have some friends lined up to help place the trusses in a week. Coming together

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Awesome work and congratulations on your new man cave. As the owner of two boats, I get a lot of questions from people about boat buying and the first thing I tell them is to have a covered place to store it before you buy it, preferably a garage of some kind. The sun, insects and critters down here will destroy the best made boat in short order if it's not covered or tended to.